Author Topic: New Ripper project!  (Read 10743 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: New Ripper project!
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
If u need some ol'pahts, I got some with no plans. I also have a couple ripper pups you could try to  jump some wires onto . Some birdbrain cut them short! . I have the rear string plate for a G-3, some  single coils for a G3 and a g3 bridge in pretty nice shape. hey this may get bumped to the wanted /for sale forum. Sorry, bed time ....work early :mrgreen:

I too love the wine  colored G3
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 06:37:21 AM »
If u need some ol'pahts, I got some with no plans. I also have a couple ripper pups you could try to  jump some wires onto . Some birdbrain cut them short! . I have the rear string plate for a G-3, some  single coils for a G3 and a g3 bridge in pretty nice shape. hey this may get bumped to the wanted /for sale forum. Sorry, bed time ....work early :mrgreen:

I too love the wine  colored G3

Sweet, I'll PM you!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
Glad to help.M

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 07:13:28 AM »
Thanks!

Here's the body as it stands now. Underneath the blue was red, then white. The white was nicely done and I wonder if it was professionally refinished years ago. It's also TOUGH to get off.

Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 01:55:54 PM »
It's also TOUGH to get off.

You should have tried the "crispy" stuff under my T'bird's "Tequilafin"... now that was a porker...

Are you a serial-luthier, Denis...?  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 05:09:28 AM »
Found some pics of that gorgeous Ripper G-3. First class job with great details. I forgot who made this bass?
It was someone from here?

The only color I have ever liked on this body style other than black

Killer neck paint

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:35 AM »
You should have tried the "crispy" stuff under my T'bird's "Tequilafin"... now that was a porker...
Are you a serial-luthier, Denis...?  ;)

Hahah, I'm no luthier, but it's pretty satisfying working on these things. It's a similar feeling to working on old motorcycles, my older addictive hobby... This is cheaper though!

Barklessdog, that is gorgeous indeed! Thanks for posting more pics!

Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:22 AM »
Found some pics of that gorgeous Ripper G-3. First class job with great details. I forgot who made this bass?
It was someone from here?

That was made by "Bass VI" Scott.

He hasn't logged in for awhile.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
Thank you John... you have given me a beautiful idea for the neck of my T'bird...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
Still stripping the paint off! All the blue is now gone, but that bottom coat of white is hard as a whore at an arctic naval base. It MUST have been professionally applied years ago because it just does not want to give it up. I'm really resisting sanding and have been using naptha with a kitchen dish scrubber. Can't use naptha inside and with the weather the way it is, I can't do it outside so I have to wait for the odd day in the 60s.

Shadowcastaz sent me some electronics for an early Ripper (Many thanks!) so I'm getting there. Have a new pg on the way.

Here's a pic of the body thus far, partially undressed. And yeah, it doesn't look that much different than the last pics I posted!
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 10:35:53 PM »
Since it's so difficult to sand, I wouldn't be surprised if the white coat is some kind of epoxy based seal coat.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 02:17:27 AM »
I'm really resisting sanding and have been using naptha with a kitchen dish scrubber.

You might want to check places like AutoZone, Checker, Napa, etc... for some aircraft stripper (Methylene Chloride).  That stuff made real easy work of stripping most of the original finish off my Bachbird.  

From what I garnered from folks here and at the refinishing forums, the chemical peel won't always work - but when it does the paint just blisters and gives way with gentle scraping.  When it doesn't do the trick folks were having to sand and use heat guns to soften and scrape the epoxy paint off.  The latter approach looked pretty treacherous, as you have to be careful with the heat to avoid causing damage.

You're making good progress!  That and the finish sanding/polishing really took a lot of elbow grease.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 05:19:50 AM »
I use an orange based stripper in the past . It really takes stuff off in layers ,which for an impatient bastard like me is a real ball knocker. It reminds me of  stripping the Guild  StarfireII. I hate red paint.& that blue is not far behind ,M  :mrgreen:

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
Saturday I ran the Ripper pups Shadowcastaz mailed me over to Harry's Guitar shop. On one pup the wires had been snipped down to the solder so the tech rewired it and both pups tested out A-OK, saying they should be pretty hot. Step 1 of the electronics complete! Also picked up a replacement input jack and a chickenhead knob but I still need to get the other knobs (allparts sells direct replacements but my shop was out of them). Have a replacement pg on the way as well. Once that arrives I'll begin putting all those electronics together and seeing what's what.

It's been too cold to take the body outside for stripping though.
Clocks.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 04:34:57 AM »
Im glad the pups worked out.M