Gear Discussion Forums > Guitars Etc.

Les paul with flying V headstock?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Granny Gremlin:
Yep, those Marauders are pretty cool medium level guitars (Paul Stanley used one for a bit, as did the kid from Sum 41).  They were right between the top of the range S1 (used by the likes of Ron Wood - pretty much identical save for 3 Bill Lawrence single coils, same as G3 pups, but always clear covers vs that cool bridge pup in the pics above and a humbucker/dbl coil version of that same Bill Lawrence G3 pup - the zebra in that pic is not stock.... probably the pup from:) and the Sonex series on the low end.

All bolt on, flat top LP shape guitars.  The Sonex is most LP sounding, the other two are very cool though in a different way.  The Sonex was the odd one out with the 'resonwood' body , diff pickguard shape and normal Gibson headstock (also came is a weird Artist version). 

Hörnisse:
Don't forget the much maligned S-1!  ;)

I bought an old '72 Eggplant glo 4001 bass years ago with a Marauder pickup in the bridge position.  I restored the bass and sold the pickup.

The good news was that the crude plastic surround for the Marauder pickup used the same screw holes as the original Rickenbacker chrome surround.

Ross W. Lovell:
Greetings All,

Gibson made 2 guitars with Les Paul shapes but bolt on necks with V shaped headstock.

One was the Marauder pictured by another poster.  It had a single coil and a humbucker.

The other was an S-1 that came with 3 single coil blade type pickups arranged like a Strat.  Pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence.  They had a rotary selector switch for pickup selection and a LP type toggle that's only function was to switch to the lead pickup, no matter where the rotary selector was positioned.

Good guitars.

If you prefer set necks and a lighter and thinner body, look into the L-6S, they make a couple of variations.

Granny Gremlin:
Wasn't the L-6S heavier though - due to the larger (even if thinner) body - just like the Ripper (aka L-9S, see what Gibson did there?).  Never liked the obese Les Paul look of it personally.  But we are very familiar with that model here since the original version used the beloved LoZ pickups; unique to it was the gold plating of those pickups.  .... can't actually find a pic of that version right now (apparently they reissued it recently.

Also, I love how both posts after mine (where I mention it) are like 'don't forget the S-1.'  :-*

Hörnisse:
You must be thinking of the L5S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version