Author Topic: Coming soon on Gibson Records  (Read 1794 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Coming soon on Gibson Records
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 06:26:57 PM »
Reminds me of Ethel Merman trying to do hard rock.

:mrgreen:

No, that would be Debbie Harry singing One Way or Another.

No one has ever seen Ethel Merman and Debbie Harry in the same room at the same time.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 06:51:02 PM »
Can't help but think of this.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 11:15:13 PM »
I had forgotten that scene!  ;D

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 09:14:28 AM »
That's great!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2023, 07:56:49 AM »
Well I listened to some of the new tune yesterday, and I agree - Ozzy would have been a much better choice as vocalist.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2023, 11:16:37 AM »
You know, I'm on the fence. Never a SOAD fan, I could nevertheless appreciate that they had an individual, interesting style. I guess if you like SOAD, then you won't find this track by the 'Gibson Band' all that horrible. Probably due to the Iommi influence, it does remind me also of Alice in Chains which were always my favorite Seattle Grungers (neither winy Nirvana nor jagged Soundgarden nor lame Pearl Jam did much for me). And the vocals elicit memories of Uncle Frank, but that is hardly a surprise as SOAD were Zappa'esque as well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:22:51 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 11:30:49 AM »
I just read this about Ethel Merman.  Love it.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2023, 12:24:04 PM »
She IS Debbie Harry

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 01:11:58 PM »
You know, I'm on the fence. Never a SOAD fan, I could nevertheless appreciate that they had an individual, interesting style. I guess if you like SOAD, then you won't find this track by the 'Gibson Band' all that horrible. Probably due to the Iommi influence, it does remind me also of Alice in Chains which were always my favorite Seattle Grungers (neither winy Nirvana nor jagged Soundgarden nor lame Pearl Jam did much for me). And the vocals elicit memories of Uncle Frank, but that is hardly a surprise as SOAD were Zappa'esque as well.

Maybe SOAD can be appreciated, if not enjoyed.  The same might be said for the Gibson band.  As for Zappa, my introduction to him came from the guitarist in my first band.  He loved Zappa's music; I never did.  In most other ways, we had the same taste in music.  But vocals are important to me.  Even more important than a drummer able to keep time.  For me the SOAD & Gibson band vocals just don't cut it.  I honestly wish they did.  SOAD had a unique style.  I was around people who were fans and could see they were really getting something out of the music. 

Repeating myself a little from previous posts.  But speaking of drummers and vocalists, it often seems hard for cover bands to get good singers and drummers.  There are too many people who think they can play drums, but can't.  And too many people, especially at the cover band level, who can't sing very well.  It ruins everything.  Because in many cases there is some talent in those bands.  But that's why I like Brutus.  There is a drummer who can play drums AND sing.  Very well, I might add. 

BTW, these vocals with Serj Tankian sound way better than the Deconstruction song, IMO.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 01:35:56 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2023, 01:13:45 PM »

That is hilarious!!
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2023, 10:08:54 PM »

Never heard of any wild sexual adventures of Loretta Young, but she did have an illegitimate child with Clark Gable and hid her pregnancy. That was scandalous in its time. In late life, long after Gable was dead, she claimed he had raped her. I'm skeptical.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2023, 11:07:16 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2023, 12:22:22 AM »
The Loretta Young show was one of the first shows I remember watching on TV as a kid.  I thought she was pretty.  It's hard to think of her from any other perspective.  But now I have the Clark Gable thing to think about and the funny Ethel Merman story, too. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2023, 01:20:41 AM »
Consensual or not, her dad's DNA sure left more than a trace on Judy (Lewis) - the daughter he had with Loretta Young.

Some (tragic) story that is about Judy, I'm surprised there hasn't been a movie about it yet:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/judy-lewis-daughter-of-loretta-young-and-clark-gable-dies-at-76/2011/12/01/gIQAe85sHO_story.html

Re the rape allegation, I'm not that skeptical, given that this (allegedly) happened in 1935, in Hollywood of all places and with a male superstar actor who was probably not accustomed to hearing a lot of "nos" from females. I don't think the concept of "date rape" had really sunk in back then yet, especially as it was de rigueur to spice up love scenes with a little violence and breaking of (female) wills:

(Don't blame me for Auntie Rand's  - author of The Fountain Head - pronounced rape fantasies!)

Rape back then was mostly seen as the - in real life rather unlikely - "They had never met before, the ugly villain pounced on her in the dark + then dragged her under the bushes ..."-scenario or as a wartime/armed conflict atrocity.

Wikipedia writes:

In 2015, Linda Lewis, the wife of Loretta Young's son Christopher, stated publicly that Young had realized at age 85 that Judy had been conceived in an act of date rape:[8]

"Young loved to watch Larry King Live, which is most likely what prompted her to first ask her friend, frequent house guest, and would-be biographer, Edward Funk, and then her daughter-in-law, Linda Lewis, to explain the term “date rape.” As Lewis recalled from her Jensen Beach, Florida, home this April, sitting next to her husband, Chris — Young's second born — and flanked by Young's Oscar and Golden Globe, it took tact to explain, in language that an 85-year-old could understand, what “date rape” meant. “I did the best I could to make her understand,” Lewis said. “You have to remember, this was a very proper lady.”

"When Lewis was finished describing the act, Young's response was a revelation: 'That's what happened between me and Clark.' "

Young had never before understood the particulars of that 1935 incident. She had not discussed this information before 1998. Young wished to keep the pregnancy secret from Twentieth Century Pictures, knowing they would try to pressure her to have an abortion; a devout Catholic, Young considered adultery and abortion to be mortal sins.[8] According to Linda Lewis, Young added that no consensual intimate contact had occurred between Gable and herself. Young had never previously disclosed the rape to anyone. Before learning of the concept of date rape, Young had believed it was a woman's job to fend off men's amorous advances and had perceived her inability to thwart Gable's attack as a moral failing on her part.[9] The family remained silent about the claim until Young (died 2000) and Lewis (died 2011) were both deceased.[8]

And this is not to character-assassinate Clark Gable who I thought was great in Gone With The Wind and The Misfits (the two films with him I have the best memory of) and who more importantly, besides risking his life as a tail-gunner in a B-17 to fight Nazism at a time when neither his status nor his age (he was in his early 40ies come WWII) required him to do so (no one would have complained had he only taken some desk job with the USAAF, yet he actually flew sorties over Germany and one of his crew members even died during a Luftwaffe attack), showed what you would today perhaps call, dare I say, some woke spine, never mind how he was an ardent Republican all his life:

Also from Wikipedia:

According to Lennie Bluett, an extra in the film, Gable almost walked off the set when he discovered the studio facilities were segregated and signage posted "White" and "Colored".[55] Gable phoned the film's director Victor Fleming and told him, "If you don't get those signs down, you won't get your Rhett Butler." The signs were then taken down.[56] Gable tried to boycott the Gone with the Wind premiere in segregated Atlanta, because African American actors Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen were not permitted to attend. He reportedly only went after McDaniel pleaded with him to go.[57] They appeared in several more films, remaining life-long friends and he always attended her Hollywood parties.[58]

« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 08:23:14 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2023, 10:12:24 PM »
This reminds me somewhat of what happened to French actor Gerard Depardieu.  I've been reading about accusations against him for years, never fully knowing what happened.  Now, one of his accusers has killed herself.  I can't much see how this situation can get any worse. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/14/french-actor-accused-gerard-depardieu-sexual-assault-dies-emmanuelle-debever

--Blaise Pascal