Author Topic: From the "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya" dept.  (Read 1011 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

nofi

• View Profile
Re: From the "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya" dept.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
his wig is too tight. his wife may have something to do with this but in the end who cares. he can be a washed up rock singer anywhere.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
Why go to Crimea when Putin is here?

Vladimir over New York

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:26 AM »
I believe the Deep Purple Appreciation Society seated in Sheffield is behind this - an act of cleansing. But rebuilding the Iron Curtain just to prevent Joe getting back together with Ritchie is slightly overdoing it.

JLT has a loyal fan base in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia, that might have something to do with it. He regularly does concerts there in all kinds of set-ups.

And tell me one other country where a middle-aged man with a bad wig and a worse tan plus the nervous-edgy demeanor of a 16-year-old New Joisian with Italian-American roots picking up his first date gets interviewed by her:

It's easy to joke about Joe, he's the Dolly Parton of the DP family. But it is also fair to say that his voice has held up better (as the Moscow clip evidences) than either Gillan's or Coverdale's though it is not as one of a kind as either of them.

As for the young lass, I see a career for her in Russia Today as an anchor woman!  :mrgreen:

And as regards Vladimir, I'm squarely in the middle of how the West villifies him and Joe's adulation. Anybody wishing Putin - neither a shining democrat nor the new Stalin - away should give a long deep thought on who might follow him. I remember people wishing the Russians in Afghanistan away - seemed like a good idea at the time to some people - and look what it left us with. In a ying and yang roundabout way, I prefer a bi- or multipolar world to a unipolar one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:12:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »
From what I've heard, Putin could step into Don Corleone's shoes and no one would notice the difference...except he's less discreet.

But I'm not an international affairs expert.  I'm glad to live where I do.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
What is it with professional singers and text sheets?! That Live in Moscow video is so embarassing!
A few years ago I saw The Black Crowes and Chris Robinson also had a music stand in front of his nose with the lyrics.
Come on guys, you're not in a highschool band anymore. Learn the bloody lyrics or get a professional prompter.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
turner looks very strange, shockingly so. :o don't know that much about his history but he can still sing that stuff pretty well, imo.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
From what I've heard, Putin could step into Don Corleone's shoes and no one would notice the difference...except he's less discreet.

But I'm not an international affairs expert.  I'm glad to live where I do.

But Don Corleone wasn't all bad, as we all know! He was a dedicated family man and always looked for a pragmatic outcome. Some of his harder to swallow decisions emanated from great tranquility as Fredo would no doubt confirm:

That is one of the most iconic heartbreaking, gutwrenching scenes in movies ever.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
It is.  And it's better for being slightly under-played.  No close-ups, no gore.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
Very antique Greek tragedy. Or Shakespeare.

Also some similarity to Orwell's ending of 1984: Winston Smith, brainwashed, broken and having renounced all his views, at peace with IngSoc and with love for Big Brother in that desolate cafe where all former recanted dissidents go to wait for their unannounced eventual execution.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:16:05 AM by uwe »