Author Topic: If you want one...  (Read 3949 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: If you want one...
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 03:13:39 AM »
You should. It matters where you stick your male plug.

Now I'm confused. Since when? Hasn't Mark been preaching to us that it doesn't in a roundabout way? Doesn't any of that trickle down on you? You're so incredibly set in your ways, Dave.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:23:22 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
My Tele is American. It was new in box. It didn't come with a strap or cable. It did have the polishing cloth, which the Rascal didn't have.

I'm stuck in bass-mode and forgot that you play Tele 6 strings. It's been a few years since I bought a new instrument, (I never thought I would ever be buying another instrument, new or used anyway) and that is one of the costs that manufacturers have saved by not including cables and straps in case candy that wasn't that way when I was still buying before. That stuff turns a hefty profit as a music store add-on. I hate having to buy something really cool, like a new bass, and then having to buy something else to use it. It's minor and since FMIC stopped including straps and cables to save a buck, you know that Gibson is working on a way to leverage the idea as a feature into some kind of upcharge for Les Paul guitars: the new Gibson Signature Les Paul Monster Cable Edition, yours for only $5k.

I got a fantastic MIA (I hope) instrument for the price and it scratches a tonal itch I never thought was possible outside of finding a used Wal in a pawnshop or music store that had no idea of its value and I am very happy with it while simultaneously feeling sad that such a good instrument never found its market. There are plenty of Gibson bass bombs whose market rejection was understandable. The EB's really isn't, but such is life. My EB is light years above the the 2015 T-Bird I tried out recently which makes me think that the failure will eventually be blamed on the new design pickups and bridge and Gibson will go back to only making TB+ for bass. A successful second bass pickup line would pave the way for true Sidewinder or Low Z remakes, but the market has spoken and the market says that Gibson is only allowed to make SG's, T-Birds, and hollowbodies all using the same pickups.  Too bad.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 05:08:35 PM »
I don't think there was an issue with the pups and/or the hardware - both general modernisations of what we have come to expect of a Gibson bass. The non-descript shape did it in, most bass players that go the extra mile to seek out a Gibson bass want to be recognized as playing one from the back of the hall, that is not the case with an EB.

I agree that the EB is a fine and variable bass, but it doesn't beat a TBird in all respects. It doesn't have the latter's sweet upper register sustain. You can't fake a neck-thru characteristic.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:39:29 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
...... It's minor and since FMIC stopped including straps and cables to save a buck, you know that Gibson is working on a way to leverage the idea as a feature into some kind of upcharge for Les Paul guitars: the new Gibson Signature Les Paul Monster Cable Edition, yours for only $5k.

Are you implying that Gibson would overcharge for a simple instrument cable? Perish the thought!

And their straps are reasonably priced too, don't you agree?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 09:52:51 PM »
Here's a funny one I saw last week

I'm sure you'll tell me that this doesn't have anything to do with it.  ;D

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 01:26:23 AM »
Now tell me how you think it does Dave.
I have no idea...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 07:02:21 AM »
Now tell me how you think it does Dave.
I have no idea...

In the neighborhood, according to my online translator. The only question is what neighborhood.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »
My only issue with mine is the jack is mounted to the flimsy pickguard. The next year they moved the jack to the side of the bass.

Not a problem; use the strap control technique that P-bass players have for 50+ years.

And I realize I'm tempting both Uwe and Mark by using the phrase "strap control technique"...  :o
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 11:00:09 AM »
Not a problem; use the strap control technique that P-bass players have for 50+ years.

And I realize I'm tempting both Uwe and Mark by using the phrase "strap ON control technique"...  :o

I fixed it for you so that it's more fitting of this place ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 02:55:09 PM »
This could go so many ways I'm not sure where to start...

Nah... no fair to shoot fish in a barrel... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...