Author Topic: If you want one...  (Read 3944 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: If you want one...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 03:17:36 AM »
As if that is gonna help any. Try to find it between Deep Purple/Ritchie Blackmore, WWII aircraft, Model trains and anal sex

Hey, no complaints, 'tis always been this way here!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 06:11:03 AM »
That sounds like quite  a good deal.  The lowest price I see currently is $799 US at Zzounds...  Other places have them at over $1k for some reason.

I did not know they made a lefty:
http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-USA-BAEBLE5CH1-4-String-Electric/dp/B00BFN59T8/ref=sr_1_12

I love mine!
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 06:41:39 AM »
Like mine, except that from your point of view mine is "the wrong way round".  :mrgreen:

It's a pity that these have already been discontinued since - after a sluggish start - those models were beginning to make some headway. On the new Lynyrd Skynyrd double CD with everyone and his brother tributing them (and strangely: they nearly all sound like Lynyrd Skynyrd in the process too) there are even two EBs of different players featured in the inlay booklet - the Blackberry Smoke guy and someone else I didn't know. That doesn't happen too often with any Gibson bass model.

Everyone who has one or has played one seems to be happy with it. I still don't think it is much of a looker (I prefer outlandish shapes), but my brethren seem to think otherwise and let's face it: The day knock off Fender bass shapes don't sell anymore is the day the earth stands still.

Mysteries of Gibson marketing!

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:13 AM »
My only issue with mine is the jack is mounted to the flimsy pickguard. The next year they moved the jack to the side of the bass.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
Ah, I didn't know jack about that!

Note to self:

I do absolutely not collect for jack positions!!!

Much like Swedish finish, they do not influence sound. Unless they are torn out with all the guts of course.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:13:01 AM by uwe »

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
And it wouldn't be a big deal if the pickguard was sturdier.
Yeah, with the 2014 model they moved the jack.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 02:05:08 PM »

Note to self:

You should. It matters where you stick your male plug.

As if that is gonna help any. Try to find it between Deep Purple/Ritchie Blackmore, WWII aircraft, Model trains and anal sex

I saw this posted (on a humor blog) as "Best engagement photo ever."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
I've posted this before... a singer I worked with in the 80's had a habit of bursting into a tune based on no business like show business, but with the lyrics There's no entry like rear entry there's no entry I know... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »
I have never vandalized a street sign, but this one is really tempting:
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »
Note to self:

One would think that the Les Paul Signature bass would have been more popular. It has two points of entry for the jack. One on the front & one on the side.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:33:37 PM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »
A wonderful cold on top of a simmering sinus infection has given me some unplanned time to spend with my new bass. Notice how I put that? Tuned up and properly tested, this sucker is pretty much exactly everything I was hoping, lack of mass aside.  It will do the RHCP Wal-faux Stringray tone with ease with all the smooth growl one could ask for: front pickup in HB mode, rear in single and volumes adjusted to amount of growl needed. That tone alone is so incredibly hard to attain and then the bass has even more options on top. I have played a Wal once and heft aside, the EB reminds me of the tones of that bass so much right down to the refined complexity of the midrange growl but with just enough Gibson boom to keep its identity firmly up front. This bass sounds, out of the box, like what I wished my Epi Les Paul could do: the tone of the US-made LP standards of the 90's era while morphing to a super Stingray with ease.

It's a keeper and while I wish the ash body had been grain filled, I understand the price prohibited that. I love the cream color. It really was my first choice for colors, though in cream, it almost passes for a Mosrite.  Prior, I had a couple of natural, a few bursts, and mostly green and blue basses. Cream rounds out my color wheel nicely.  The neck is very clearly Gibson while still being VERY playable. Lots of second and third position notes that get lost in the mud on Fender necks bloom with harmonic complexity and authority on the EB. I also could not make the volume drop on bends no matter how hard I tried and I bend the shit out of my strings.

I am not surprised that Uwe likes this bass; its articulate growl was a quantum leap forward for Gibson. Too bad it was axed.  I'll just have to get famous and make it my signature instrument. ;) I like it THAT much. I would LOVE to have one with a mahogany body and a better finish just to hear what those excellent pickups would do with it. The delicacy of the finish means that it will probably only see church gigs. I love aggravating the praise team guys with NOT having a Fender and the finish feels eggshell fragile even moreso than an aged lacquer on a 50's or 60's Fender which likes to shed as a matter of course.  I'm spoiled by modern polyester. Still, that is minor and the bass' tone probably benefits from it. ;) Another niggle: Gibson case candy included neither a cable nor a strap, something that is standard with any US-made Fender. At the original pricepoint of $1299, why Gibson couldn't have included a cable and strap that would have added about a dollar to the cost of the bass is beyond me.

In conclusion, I love it. It's a keeper.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »
I'm glad it's a keeper The finish might be hardier than you think. They skimped on the steps to make it glossy but it ought to be just as durable.

I've bought two new Fenders in the past ten years, a Tele and the Rascal Bass, neither had a cable or a strap in the case candy.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:42 PM »
I've bought two new Fenders in the past ten years, a Tele and the Rascal Bass, neither had a cable or a strap in the case candy.

Those were both import models, Japan and Mexico respectively. MIA Fenders have straps and cables (and a saddle and trussrod wrench.) I don't want the cable, but a strap would be nice, especially since I favor cheap ones anyway. I try to keep straps on all my basses so that I can play them standing easily and the end tabs don't wear from being swapped around.  I don't like strap locks. I'll hit eBay and get a strap. The 99 cent Ernie Ball extra long woven nylon straps are wonderful for me.

The Rascal is on my wishlist too, BTW.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:58:41 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 11:55:02 PM »
Those were both import models, Japan and Mexico respectively. MIA Fenders have straps and cables (and a saddle and trussrod wrench.) I don't want the cable, but a strap would be nice, especially since I favor cheap ones anyway. I try to keep straps on all my basses so that I can play them standing easily and the end tabs don't wear from being swapped around.  I don't like strap locks. I'll hit eBay and get a strap. The 99 cent Ernie Ball extra long woven nylon straps are wonderful for me.

The Rascal is on my wishlist too, BTW.

My Tele is American. It was new in box. It didn't come with a strap or cable. It did have the polishing cloth, which the Rascal didn't have.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:59 AM »
You should. It matters where you stick your male plug.
I saw this posted (on a humor blog) as "Best engagement photo ever."

Here's a funny one I saw last week