Author Topic: Is it just me, or...? (beautiful blonde Rivoli content)  (Read 8767 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Re: Is it just me, or...? (beautiful blonde Rivoli content)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:21:17 PM »
The Korean Starfire's go for 400 GBP. Got mine for half that, but it has a repaired neck break and a nasty dent in the bodywork.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »
For some reason a lot of UK sellers are hesitant to ship semi-solids across the border and list them as pick-up or ships to UK only. Most of they won't budge, even when asked politely.  :mrgreen: I think that's the main reason the Starfires don't fetch better prices in the UK. On mainland Europe they go for about EUR 700 with GoldTone RI PUPS and EUR 1.000 with Dark Stars, without case mind you.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »
I'm debating what to do with mine. The pickups don't really cut it in a rock band. Darkstars are too expensive an option, they'd cost as much as the bass did. Don't know what else would fit without a lot of work. ModelOnes?

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 06:44:54 AM »
Sell it Kenny, sell it....  ;D   and let me know first......

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:09 AM »
Darkstars are too expensive an option, they'd cost as much as the bass did.

I have paid more for the Dark Stars than I did for my 1st Starfire but they're really worth it. Problem today is where to find a set .......... and of course they look like a million bucks !  ;D

PeterB is gonna fit my "new" Starfire with ChiSonics. He's done it before for another member of the dutch Basgitaar Forum ......

He's not quite content with the way it's done, but the owner didn't want it any other way .....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:50:20 AM by Droombolus »

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:57 AM »
I'm debating what to do with mine. The pickups don't really cut it in a rock band. Darkstars are too expensive an option, they'd cost as much as the bass did. Don't know what else would fit without a lot of work. ModelOnes?

i recently got a set of chisonics from Hanson for about 230 ish.  about half of the cost of a DS  if you can get Fred to make them....idn't think about putting them in until i saw the about picture.  a poor man's hollow body decade....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
I'll bet the Chisonics would be great!

Also - you might want to correspond with Dr. Bassman about the TV Jones Thundertrons... http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/thundertron.html

Don't know if they'd fit, but I believe he was very impressed with his.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
i heard the tv jones pups are really good.  Rumor is he makes the lull tbird pups....  Don't think they would fit well on the starfire as it has a big square pups now.   But i recently picked up this body off feebay  for 152+ and I am thinking about building out a gretsch type bass.  Kind of depends on what i do with the bridge on it now.  If i can't get it off clean i may be forced to use it as a tailpeice and put a tbird type bridge on it.  that will then determine what scale neck and everything else.  this one looks like TV Jones belong in it....
JIM

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 11:39:54 AM »

PeterB is gonna fit my "new" Starfire with ChiSonics. He's done it before for another member of the dutch Basgitaar Forum ......

He's not quite content with the way it's done, but the owner didn't want it any other way .....
[/quote]

Tell me more...  Did Peter make the surrounds??  Did he make them like a pocket as the Chisonics are meant to be top mounted..
JIM

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »
Sell it Kenny, sell it....  ;D   and let me know first......

PhilT; sorry mate, the squirells made me think you where Kenny, my mistake.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »

The Model 1 is a good option, apart from the fact that they're black instead of chrome covered.  To my ears, the Model 1 sounds pretty similar to the TB-Plus in my SG Reissue.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:48:19 PM by Aussie Mark »
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
PhilT; sorry mate, the squirells made me think you where Kenny, my mistake.

Don't worry about it. I think my squirrels are Kenny's before the cops raided the "massage" parlour.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 03:35:50 AM »
Did Peter make the surrounds??  Did he make them like a pocket as the Chisonics are meant to be top mounted..

Nope. These are the CSs as used on the Lakland semi's and they come with these surrounds. They don't quite cover the cavity though, so Peter will make additional surrounds that will cover the cavities and the original GoldTone surround's drill-holes.

The Model 1 is a good option, apart from the fact that they're black instead of chrome covered.  To my ears, the Model 1 sounds pretty similar to the TB-Plus in my SG Reissue.

I've mounted a TB-Plus sidewinder on my Rivoli and it didn't work. It's got loads more hi-end than the DiMarzio's which caused serious feedback problems. I've tried out a succession of PUPs ( including the Gotoh and Artec replacements ) and agree the DiMarzio's give the best results, the Willpower does even better than the Model One because it's hotter.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
The Willpower has wider pole spacing, for long scale. So no good for a short scale Starfire?