Author Topic: Chris Squire's Thunderbird  (Read 11629 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: Chris Squire's Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
This has been a great thread! Some great pictures, great info on which tracks Squire used the Thunderbird on. I love the Drama album!

Thought I'd post a recent pic of my '68 Pelham Blue Melody Maker:

The color looks different depending on the lighting, here's the one I originally thought was best:

But I think the first one is a better representation.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:38 PM »
Mudbucker AND Moog Taurus pedals!? Those notes must be nothing short of seismic!
Half-speed Hawkwind

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 06:22:01 AM »
We now know who's to blame for those Japanese and Californian earthquakes. Hiero = Godzilla!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
That one pic looks familiar there was a guy who shot a few photos during the Drama tour & posted them at the Soundchaser YES forum I asked if I could post them at the old Dude Pit & he said sure they were the first I’ve seen of the NR Tbird in action however I did see an AD for an Auction house in a old Guitar player or Musicians mag that had a shot of CS’s NR Tbird body & it listed the serial # the mag is long gone but it was from the 70’s or early 80’s BTW he may have had more then one NR Tbird because I think (& I could be wrong) the one pictured in the mag was SB ,
Cheers

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:01:18 PM by 4005 »

Hornisse

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:26 PM »
That one pic looks familiar there was a guy who shot a few photos during the Drama tour & posted them at the Soundchaser YES forum I asked if I could post them at the old Dude Pit & he said sure they were the first I’ve seen of the NR Tbird in action however I did see an AD for an Auction house in a old Guitar player or Musicians mag that had a shot of CS’s NR Tbird body & it listed the serial # the mag is long gone but it was from the 70’s or early 80’s BTW he may have had more then one NR Tbird because I think (& I could be wrong) the one pictured in the mag was SB ,
Cheers

I remember that ad in Guitar Player.  It was sunburst and I think he was asking $2500 (which was a lot of $$ back then!)

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
Thank you for that, the brain is getting mushy  ??? but I was pretty sure it was SB I had to toss out a stack of moldy GP mags when I moved but I flipped through them however I just couldn’t find that ad if anyone here can find it please post it,

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »
That one pic looks familiar there was a guy who shot a few photos during the Drama tour & posted them at the Soundchaser YES forum I asked if I could post them at the old Dude Pit & he said sure they were the first I’ve seen of the NR Tbird in action

I remember asking there about Squire's Thunderbird as I had never seen it (believing it was a '76 or at least a reverse) and then you posted those pics. Thanks again!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 04:34:29 AM »
I saw Yes only once, in 1983 on the 90125 tour. Great show. Was Squire back to playing his Ric on that tour? I did briefly meet Alan White after the show and he signed my tour book.  :)
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 07:33:23 AM »
I saw Yes only once, in 1983 on the 90125 tour. Great show. Was Squire back to playing his Ric on that tour? I did briefly meet Alan White after the show and he signed my tour book.  :)

He used plenty of basses, depending on the song just like in the 70's. He had the green Mouradian ("Owner Of The Lonely Heart"), the Elektra ("Leave It", "Cinema", "City Of Love"), the 8-string Ranney ("Changes", "Hearts"), Thunderbird (for "Gimme Some Lovin'" and probably for "Our Song") and the Ric ("Hold On", "It Can Happen" plus all the classic old stuff).

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 12:45:39 PM »
He is a pretty big dude.  and now he is more squarish shaped.  He has not aged very well....

Compared to Steve Howe :o, he looks like Dorian Gray.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »
Steve Howe could introduce Tales from the Crypt these days. Or lecture math. There really is no difference.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...