Author Topic: Chris Squire's Thunderbird  (Read 11628 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Chris Squire's Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 07:53:56 AM »
Last I heard it belongs to a guy named Vincent Gallo. He's got quite a collection. Apparently he's pretty chummy with Squire and owns some other items from his past. Possibly the 8 string??? http://www.vincentgallo.com/

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 08:05:37 AM »
"Buffalo 66": I thought Gallo's name and pic looked familiar.

That NR is gorgeous. Wish it resided at my house!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 08:28:27 AM »

That NR is gorgeous. Wish it resided at my house!

Instead of Chromium's?
 Bach bird look alike

A saw Yes a few years back and Chris had a different bass for every song, but always sounded the same reguardless of the bass (Ric included)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 09:46:25 AM »

Oh wow- I saw that.  Good flick!  (loves my IFC and Sundance channels)

I remember some bar scene that was underscored by the intro to "Heart of the Sunrise".  It all makes sense now   8)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »
Yeah, that movie was something. Glad I didn't have his parents!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »
He had some stereo thing going on with the 'bird too:

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »
Those really are cool pics!
Clocks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »
I saw the Drama tour - 16th row, in the round. They opened with Does it Really Happen with CS on the 'bird.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 09:42:24 AM »
He makes that bird look like a tiny toy.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
Any comment on that stereo speculation? His Rick was of course modded as a stereo so why would he use the same Y-cord with the T-Bird if it wasn't? Has anybody tried it with a T-Bird, each pickup to it's own channel?

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
Any comment on that stereo speculation? His Rick was of course modded as a stereo so why would he use the same Y-cord with the T-Bird if it wasn't? Has anybody tried it with a T-Bird, each pickup to it's own channel?

I thought all 4001s were equipped for Ric-O-Sound but I could very easily be wrong. In any case, I'm curious about the T-bird's electronics as well.
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »

I know little about Squire's setup, but I thought I remember reading that he used the stereo feature to run the Ric into both bass and guitar (Marshall stack, IIRC) rigs(?)  Maybe he had his other basses similarly equipped.

I've only just recently played with the stereo features on the 4001 and my former Ovation Magnum-I (it was mainly to test the Mag prior to sale).  I had built some channel insert cables for my mixer, and the wiring is the same as a stereo bass cable - essentially, one stereo(1/4" TRS) connector wired with the "tip" going to one mono(1/4" TS) cable, and the "ring" going to a second mono(1/4" TS) cable.  Each pickup gets sent to its own separate mono cable.

It adds a nice spatial effect to normal playing when the pickups are sent to different positions in the stereo field (sounds awesome thru my F2-B), but I found it most useful for effect processing - sending the neck pickup direct to preserve the fundamental, and running the bridge thru effects, synth, etc...  I've actually been thinking about stereo-izing my Ibanez 8-string for this purpose.  Not something I'd personally use live, but could be lots of fun for recording.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
I thought all 4001s were equipped for Ric-O-Sound but I could very easily be wrong. In any case, I'm curious about the T-bird's electronics as well.

The deluxe models were, can't remember the year when the Ric-O-Sound jack was added as a standard to them but the 'S' models were mono ans Squire's bass was and is a 4001S (or RM 1999 like it was called in England).

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 11:20:45 AM »
 I've actually been thinking about stereo-izing my Ibanez 8-string for this purpose.  Not something I'd personally use live, but could be lots of fun for recording.

I have my both 12-string basses stereo-zized.:) Both pickups go through the stereo volume pedal and a stereo delay, the neckpick goes to the normal channel of DR-103 and the bridge pickup through some more effects (mainly distortion) to the bright channel of the same amp. Works splendidly even with that one amp and will work even better when I get another amp and a cab.:) Or maybe a small Leslie for the bridge pickup channel.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »
He makes that bird look like a tiny toy.

He is a pretty big dude.  and now he is more squarish shaped.  He has not aged very well....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM