Author Topic: KISS in Canada 4/22/76 Wine Red Ripper?  (Read 2418 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
KISS in Canada 4/22/76 Wine Red Ripper?
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »

Pretty awesome 8mm footage. It looks like Gene's playing a Ripper in some of these clips but it doesn't look black. What do you guys think?

Here's the guy's description:

Quote from: kiss8mmfilms
SPECIAL SURPRISE! It's Confirmed. KISS played GOD OF THUNDER on the short first US/Canada leg of the Destroyer Tour. On this tour, the band used the Alive staging and costumes. This tour preceded the UK/Europe tour of 1976, and featured songs from the Destroyer album. This, however, is the only tour in the Alive costumes where God of Thunder exists! They did not play it in Europe. We now have proof! Enjoy this amazing find!

Gene's hair catches fire on this one, too...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: KISS in Canada 4/22/76 Wine Red Ripper?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
George, A my memory serves me Gene's Ripper were all black in this period, I don't know if there was ever a custom color or refin along the way. That footage reminds me why I love the band.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
I've seen Gene on pics with the winered Grabber - with the stage lighting it doesn't always show.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »
And if he wanted a wine red Ripper too, I'm sure Gibson would have finned him one pronto.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
I've only ever seen the black ones so that's why I asked. This footage is super low resolution but I think I see the Lobue in there (or maybe the modded EBO), but the Ripper I think I see clearly has a black pickguard with the body appearing more red. Could be stage lights I guess. Talk about trainspotting!

Gene's hair going up in flames is kinda cool to see (obviously he wasn't hurt), and the rest of this is just really cool footage for an early KISS fan.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »
And if he wanted a wine red Ripper too, I'm sure Gibson would have finned him one pronto.
They might have but I don't think Gibson was really all that astute regarding the bands wants and desires. To the best of my knowladge all the instruments supplied to KISS were stock and some not very good at that, the Marauder comes to mind. Not saying that a wine red Ripper didn't exist, just I have never seen one.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
I've only ever seen the black ones so that's why I asked. This footage is super low resolution but I think I see the Lobue in there (or maybe the modded EBO), but the Ripper I think I see clearly has a black pickguard with the body appearing more red. Could be stage lights I guess. Talk about trainspotting!

Gene's hair going up in flames is kinda cool to see (obviously he wasn't hurt), and the rest of this is just really cool footage for an early KISS fan.
The bass appearing red wouldn't have anything to do with all the blood Gene is spewing ?  ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
The bass appearing red wouldn't have anything to do with all the blood Gene is spewing ?  ;D

OK, you do have a point.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »
He was refinning that bass himself single-tonguedly.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 06:14:16 AM »
It's hard to tell from that - nicely energetic btw - footage, but that Ripper might indeed be red.