Author Topic: A solo on a heavily modified Slot head EB 0  (Read 8173 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: A solo on a heavily modified Slot head EB 0
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »
Anyone remember the SNL "bass-off" skit with Jack Black and Will Ferrell?

Not everyone has the same vision as I do of what the bass' role should be. If someone wants to be a soloist, more power to him. However, that doesn't mean I have to like it, or to consider someone else a "star" because he does bass solos. Most of the solo bass I hear is simply music I don't like. YMMV.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
I remember "The Duck's", Stjofon, great live act... It really surprises me how many of these "missed the big-time" bands are still rolling round the circuit - enjoy the gig, AND the brews...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »
Heh, funny how a discussion about bass solos is a double edged sword. On this board, doing a solo is considered wanking but the solo of John Entwistle in "My Generation" is considered to be something sacred.

Anyway here's a couple more...

Sorry but,  :puke:

Somebody should have stopped Stu Hamm from wearing that FUGLY shirt in public  :o - most often my wife and daughter refuse to leave the house if they don't approve of my garb. :P  Oh, and I didn't like his solo either. :bored:

Didn't care for Manring as well. :bored:

Bass is a RHYTHM instrument - or so my mama pointed out to me when I told her I wanted to play bass ;)

A tasteful solo or break is fine by me if it helps the song - if not - well I say "wankfest" YOMV ;D  Quite honestly I don't care for any extended solos - period.  The drum solo always told me it was time to hit the loo, buy a T-shirt or head for the bar :)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »

That's one reason I play Thunderbirds....................I don't solo, upper register access is overrated  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 04:41:12 AM »
On this board, doing a solo is considered wanking but the solo of John Entwistle in "My Generation" is considered to be something sacred.

Great point, as I love fusion, prog & solos, but even in jazz, unaccompanied long solos suck, that goes for any genre.

The thing with JE & My Generation is the solos are very short and ADD TO A SONG. Not just him getting up there and masturbating or playing as fast as he can. That is pure self indulgence, that 99% of the population are bored by, drums solos bass solos any solos, suck 99% of the time. The only drummers I have enjoyed solos by was Buddy Rich & Bill Bruford. I love fusion and very few unaccompanied solos I enjoy.

Their lies the difference to me an accompanied solo means their should be an interaction with something other than your penis.

Masturbation is masturbation weather it be fast & furious or loosy goosey sloppy.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 04:49:23 AM »
Michael Manring is amazing, as is Steve Lawson. To me they are not masturbating, but creating huge soundscapes that are enjoyable to listen to. Also they typically use loops behind what they are doing so it never crosses that "look at me" thing.

Billy Sheehan has discovered this as well. When I saw him with Steve Vai, he stole the show. Why?

Because is solos were really short and ALWAYS accompanied by the drummer. They were also more song structured solos, rather than masterbatatory, like Steve Via did the whole night with a fan blowing his hair gently away from his face.

Just my opinion, everyone has one her you know?

Now this is how to do a long bass solo in my opinion (actually he's just playing one of his songs)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 04:58:44 AM »
Well said John.
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »
That Billy Sheehan piece was indeed the way to do a solo :)
I'm not a real self indulgent solo type myself, but I do like to show off. What works best for me is loading up a bunch of good licks and just taking an accompanied lead or a short unaccompanied solo break type of thing that is congruent to the song. Along the lines of the "My Generation " bit.

There is an art to constructing a good solo and most musicians , no matter how good they are, aren't that good at constructing a good solo.
Some required listening on this subject would be Oscar Peterson  with The Trio. Oscar will do something like a good left hand chop to get your attention and then add to it just enough to get your attention a little more, and make you wonder if he's still using just his left hand or has he added the right hand in to help work the left side of the piano. He draws you in and you start listening a little harder  to all that he is accomplishing on the left side. He keeps the left hand going, and the the right hand starts up on the right side of the piano and he builds it the same way. Constantly drawing you in more and more as you wonder just exactly how many hands this freaking guy has got.  :o Joe Pass did the same thing on guitar.

BTW: It helps an awful lot if you're really good.......and if you're not, you should probably think  a little harder about taking a solo ;)

Rick
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:24:04 AM by rahock »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 06:43:36 AM »
I was never big on Sheehan but that solo is awesome.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »
All right, all of you who've been waiting eagerly for a report on the Ducks. Only Sean Tyla, and Martin Belmont, twe two guitarists, remain in the band. Their music concists of the regular pub rock style, the crossroad where Dylan meets rock, blues and melodic pop, and is absolutely right for a pint. Though I started off with coffe and cognac, and then turned to beer. Lot's of laughs, lots of friends I haven't seen in a long time. All gathered round for the sake of Ducks Deluxe, and their songs about a dreamed-up rock'n'roll lifestyle in the USA 35 years ago, before punk rock.
Nice band, nice songs, nice solos, though no bass solos. ;D
Martin Belmont played his sonic blue Strat, with a sound belonging in a bathroom. Concerning the fact that he wore a Hawaii shirt, the idea didn't seem all wrong. Sean Tyla, dressed in baggy black, looked like an angry car mechanics, with his red Gretsch turning out a simple form of power chords. The rhythm section did their job, bass player Kevin Foster played through an Ampeg cabinet, the size of a smaller barndoor. He, Belmont, and drummer Jim Russell usually plays in Los Pistoleros in London. You'll find them here: I took the opportunity to bring the guys a burnt copy of the instrumental tune Pistoleros, by Swedish band The Shanes, from 1963. The Shanes were from our countrys most northern town, Kiruna, in the mining districts. All their early tunes had titles like Pistoleros, Gunfight Saloon, Tin Star, and such. They still exist, in the form of a dance band. Here you have them with the two original guitar players on each side of the band. The drummer has turned to congas nowadays, but the bass player is still standing.