Author Topic: A solo on a heavily modified Slot head EB 0  (Read 8171 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: A solo on a heavily modified Slot head EB 0
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »
I am with Stjofon.  I think it is an EB3, but frankly, that is as good as it gets.

My GenGenne,etc. was a Fender Jazz.  But one of those early big bass things was an EB for the Who.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »
I must agree with Uwe and the rest of you folks!. What a boring solo! But this brings me to a favourite of mine, concerning bass solos, The Zombies and She's not there. Effective.
If you don't have the time, just go fast to 0:38. It's less then 2 seconds, but it's what's needed! Isn't that a Eb0, too? And we haven't even mentioned My ge-ge-generation. Yet!

Nice!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »
I must agree with Uwe and the rest of you folks!. What a boring solo! But this brings me to a favourite of mine, concerning bass solos, The Zombies and She's not there. Effective.

Perfect! I'll take that over Victor Wooten any day. No offense, he seems like a nice guy and all, but....  :bored:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure that this is not for everyone here but when Joey Demaio was mentioned in other topics people kept asking why he has this insane close string spacing on his basses, well, here's why.

Yeesh! I made it through 2 1/2 minutes. That instrument does NOT qualify as a bass. Joey, get yourself a good old guitar and wank away to your hearts content!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
Every time I hear the words "Bass" and "Solo" used in the same sentence it just sends me cold...

Is there anyone here that is not aware of Mark King's musical joke...? it is well known in the UK... the one about the English explorer who is driven nuts by the incessant drums playing in the jungle, night after night, who asks the natives when the drumming will stop...?

"Drums must never stop sir, they must never stop..."

... and after a week, they suddenly stop and all the natives run screaming from the jungle...! The explore manages to catch one of the terrified natives and begs him to tell him why he is so scared...?

"After drums comes bass solo...!"
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 12:17:31 AM »
Ho-Ho!!! Now, that's a good one! No wonder the natives were terrified...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
Enough is enough, I have to come up in defense of bass solos. They can be music. You just need some notes and a little delay.

That is bass playing to me.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »
Context is everything. There's nothing wrong with bass solos as long as they are in context and not just an unconnected wankfest. Poorly/badly played ones.....well, thats a different story.
Digresion our specialty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 04:25:57 AM »
Enough is enough, I have to come up in defense of bass solos. They can be music. You just need some notes and a little delay.

That is bass playing to me.

That is not bass playing. First of all, it has PJ pickups on it!  ;D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 05:25:42 AM »
True, admittedly. But before he went to the Dark Side he did play Rics. And to his further credit: With something that looked like a mudbucker though he sure didn't sound like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DmD9dV9G4Q&feature=related
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 05:58:56 AM »
doing some research i found that manowar has sold 10 million albums to date. not bad at all for a band most people have never heard of and really good for a metal band. however, stetched over 20 plus years there is not much money to go around.

the story was depressing to say the least and probably many more recognized bands share the manowar 'lifestyle' to some degree.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 06:02:24 AM »
About that Kraan video; you gotta admire them for getting such awful sounds out of very good equipment. That guitar sounds like a squeezed cat.
Watching it is nerve wrecking experience if you ask me...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 07:08:21 AM »
I think having a whammy bar on your bass makes up for the Fender pups, which most of you know I have no problem with if they are not hacked into a Gibson bass.  And he plays with a pick.  Good going there, considering his past life as a good reason to destroy every King Crimson and Yes record ever made for the hideous influence.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Blazer

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
Heh, funny how a discussion about bass solos is a double edged sword. On this board, doing a solo is considered wanking but the solo of John Entwistle in "My Generation" is considered to be something sacred.

Anyway here's a couple more...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 07:49:27 AM »
"That guitar sounds like a squeezed cat."
Now ain't that what anyone would call a great metaphor! More of the same ammunition!
By the way, tonight I'm gonna go to a local pub to listen to one of my favourite bands from the 70's. Ducks Deluxe is on the plate. Swollow with a lot of beer (Doctors order). Anyone remembers The Ducks? Anybody guess there's gonna be bass solos? Probably not (concerning the bass)