Author Topic: A solo on a heavily modified Slot head EB 0  (Read 8172 times)

Blazer

A solo on a heavily modified Slot head EB 0
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure that this is not for everyone here but when Joey Demaio was mentioned in other topics people kept asking why he has this insane close string spacing on his basses, well, here's why.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: A solo on a heavily modified Slot head EB 0
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
I just hate unacompanied solos. I just dont like out right wankery solos no matter what instrument.'

This coming from a Kahler user.

Does the same on a Ric
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNqEq6y7-Wo&feature=related

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
And speaking of Manowar...

http://metalinquisition.blogspot.com/2009/02/metal-inquisition-investigative-report_20.html

This article left me feeling a little depressed, and I'm not even a fan!

Blazer

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »
And speaking of Manowar...

http://metalinquisition.blogspot.com/2009/02/metal-inquisition-investigative-report_20.html

This article left me feeling a little depressed, and I'm not even a fan!
T'ch these are the same people who are calling He-man a "figure head of gay culture" based on what little he wears.

But when you watch the episodes you'll see that he's quite the ladies man and is constantly flirting with the Captain of the guard Teela and even had an adventure with a sorceress called "Castaspella"

Teela

Castaspella

Same with Manowar, they depict themselves as barbaric Warriors but that doesn't mean that they're gay. Not at all when you see how many women it has granted them bedtime with in the duration of their existence.

My guess is that people who write articles like that are just jealous, Manowar's members have finely toned bodies and they get all the ladies and make a fortune, what's not to envy about that?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »
T'ch these are the same people who are calling He-man a "figure head of gay culture" based on what little he wears.
But when you watch the episodes you'll see that he's quite the ladies man and is constantly flirting with the Captain of the guard Teela and even had an adventure with a sorceress called "Castaspella"...

Same with Manowar, they depict themselves as barbaric Warriors but that doesn't mean that they're gay. Not at all when you see how many women it has granted them bedtime with in the duration of their existence.

My guess is that people who write articles like that are just jealous, Manowar's members have finely toned bodies and they get all the ladies and make a fortune, what's not to envy about that?

As for He-man, you're right, but for the wrong reason. He's not not gay because he has a hot cartoon girlfriend. He's not not gay because he's a cartoon... Maybe the acerbic nature of the humor in that article got past you, Blazer, but the whole point of that series of articles they're doing is that a lot of the metal heroes from the 80's made quite a lot less than a 'fortune'. Joey lives in his parents' basement, I'm thinking that probably means he doesn't have a fortune, and I'm even more sure he's not bedding a series of fine ladies down there either.  :mrgreen:

barend

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:42 AM »
Is he using piccolo string? doesn't sound like a bass at all...
It is played fast but very sloppy, doesn't make any sense to me.

I used like manowar when I was 13 or so.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:34 AM »
Is he using piccolo string? doesn't sound like a bass at all...
It is played fast but very sloppy, doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes. Sounds like another failed geetar player that picked up bass and trying to be in the spotlight by wanking.

I used like manowar when I was 13 or so.

Well, that was in the past, right? :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:09:30 AM »
Somehow, I did not expect Manowar to live in mansions. And that is not because I think they don't deserve it, but I always imagined them to work hard to make a living. They have a batch of sell-out concerts in Europe every few years, but after all the expenses how much of that is gonna end up in their pockets? And for a band of their dwindling CD sales, they certainly don't hesitate to spend money in their shows. They are probably also indebted as hell to record companies.

Actually, I found the report kind of touching (in a John Steinbeck "Of Maios and Men" way) and credibility-enhancing for Manowar. Joey DePlumbio lives a suburban life and he gets (just) by like millions of others (as long as nothing financially demanding hits him that is) in America or elsewhere, most Manowar fans included. His stage persona is therefore pure undiluted escapism, mabe that is why Manowar have such fervent devoted fans, they can relate with each other.

"My guess is that people who write articles like that are just jealous, Manowar's members have finely toned bodies and they get all the ladies and make a fortune, what's not to envy about that?"

Don't be so verdammt naive, Blazer!  :mrgreen: And you sound like someone whose appreciation of Manowar would suffer if (i) Joey was gay, (ii) lived with his mom and pop, (iii) went to Catholic masses rather than practicing heathen rites with nordic idols and (iv) interspersed his strict work-out regime with visits to the local supermarket looking for the bargains. In fact, none of that taints anything Manowar have done. And I'm not a fan either.

Uwe 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:24:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:48:09 AM »
I couldn't get past about 2 mins of either clip but I gotta admit it was massively more interesting than a Michael Anthony solo.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:05:02 AM »
Death to false bass playing!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's sloppy. Rhythmically inaccurate. Joey, you should listen to Flight of the Bumblebee again and keep the click track running this time. Any shredding 14 year old guitarist can do better. And pointless. It's not bass he's playing. As a bass player he is unimaginative, I've never heard him play a single melodic run with Manowar, even Ian Hill of Judas Priest does that (once or twice in a concert!  :mrgreen: ), let's not even mention Steve Harris. For someone who was once the bass tech of the great Geezer Butler (he'd have a much nicer house if he had stayed that and he wouldn't have kidnapped poor old Ross the Boss from The Dictators to stick him in loincloths either), DeMaio's bass playing is just sad.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:39:42 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:40 AM »
So you're saying the clips do more to damage Joey's rep than the 'exposé' does?  :mrgreen:

In fact, none of that taints anything Manowar have done.

I agree, Uwe, and I would love to be able to be an honest to goodness rock star for a few weeks every year out of my otherwise very normal existence, even if it didn't mean any money was coming out of the deal.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »
Sloppy inacurate what ever, there are few wankery unacompanied solos I can sit through, reguardless of how brilliant hey are. Even Victor Wooten leaves me cold as amazing as he is, that coming from a Prog rock fusion fan. Probably the ADHD in me.

Drum or bass soo time, Time to go get a beer or take a Piss, text your mom.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure that this is not for everyone here but when Joey Demaio was mentioned in other topics people kept asking why he has this insane close string spacing on his basses, well, here's why.

Wow, you're right it's not for me...................Being a "Bass Player", well that performance just runs counter to my thinking about what to do with the instrument, which is generally to work the *money frets* and support the song.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »
Wow, you're right it's not for me...................Being a "Bass Player", well that performance just runs counter to my thinking about what to do with the instrument, which is generally to work the *money frets* and support the song.

that's the way us amateur hacks roll!  ;D

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
I must agree with Uwe and the rest of you folks!. What a boring solo! But this brings me to a favourite of mine, concerning bass solos, The Zombies and She's not there. Effective.
If you don't have the time, just go fast to 0:38. It's less then 2 seconds, but it's what's needed! Isn't that a Eb0, too? And we haven't even mentioned My ge-ge-generation. Yet!