Author Topic: Has Gibson ditched the Babicz bridge?  (Read 5529 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Has Gibson ditched the Babicz bridge?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2018, 08:10:12 AM »
They (Gibson) really need a classy girl like me to run the Bass Dept.  :-*

Best idea I've heard all day! I mean, it's only 10AM, but still...  :P

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 09:07:30 AM »

FWIW I like the Babciz bridge and modern pickups just fine, why can't they be an option on a "modern" Thunderbird? Chrome and a 3 point (or two point like the Epi VP) on a " Classic", and for Christ's sake make the %^&$#*& thing in Pelham Blue and Inverness Green.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
Chrome is fine but the black bridge has a nice continuity with the pickups and headstock. I think the three point looks more at home with the classic designs and the babicz is where it belongs on the newer design.

Keep in mind that the Babicz on the EB 4&5 is their original 5-hole top mount design. It was designed as a drop-in replacement for Fender style bridges and Fender style string spacing at the bridge. Different look than the 3-point Babicz.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »
Best idea I've heard all day! I mean, it's only 10AM, but still...  :P

Who is going to end up running things? The people Gibson are indebted to don't necessarily have any idea about running an instrument manufacturer. Isn't it a possibility they could simply liquidate and end the brand? Or perhaps they'll put it up for sale or hire another management team to run it. Is there any consensus prediction about what direction Gibson will go? They've already defaulted at this point correct?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2018, 04:46:50 PM »
Who is going to end up running things? The people Gibson are indebted to don't necessarily have any idea about running an instrument manufacturer. Isn't it a possibility they could simply liquidate and end the brand? Or perhaps they'll put it up for sale or hire another management team to run it. Is there any consensus prediction about what direction Gibson will go? They've already defaulted at this point correct?

No, it's not a real world possibility. KKR and the other secured creditors will be shedding the electronics businesses. They're committed to running Gibson as a musical instrument company and hiring (hopefully) competent management, just as Fender has done. Not a guarantee of success, of course.

Gibson has not defaulted. Declaring Chapter 11 either stops a default from happening (in Gibson's case), or if a default has already happened, stops it from proceeding further, until the Chapter 11 process is resolved.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Thanks, that will help me sleep a little easier tonight.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 03:42:35 AM »
...and for Christ's sake make the %^&$#*& thing in Pelham Blue and Inverness Green.

Now you've done it, see?  You post something on a forum and the bods at Gibson are just sitting there going, 'Aah, that Mark bloke, he suggested painting a Thunderbird in Pelham-something or Inverness-whatsitsname.  Oh no, that will never do.  No, no, no.  Get onto the team in the spray booths and tell them to destroy all the stocks.  We can't be giving people what they actually want, not when we can custom-shop it and charge three times more.'

As an aside, you may remember a couple of years back my foray with Thomann, Germany about trying to get them to coerce Gibson into doing a run of different coloured Thunderbirds; the colours banded around at the time were Sapphire Blue and Cardinal Red.  It didn't happen as I think there would only have been four buyers (me, Neeph, Mark and Uwe), BUT perhaps/maybe my efforts didn't go unnoticed as a cardinal red run did happen.
The future I come from no longer exists.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 06:22:58 AM »
GildedSplinter has a pelham blue bird. Looks like a rebadged Epi though. There are the Non Revs from a few years back too. Inverness green would be great along with all the other custom 60s fins. I'm surprised Mark wouldn't be more into Heather Mist.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2018, 08:12:36 AM »
and for Christ's sake make the %^&$#*& thing in Pelham Blue and Inverness Green.

This is what I'm talking about!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2018, 09:15:18 AM »
This is what I'm talking about!

If they let me work from home, I'd be all about the job! There's so many really cool things that "could" be done, I sincerely hope that something good does come from the reorganization.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
I'm surprised Mark wouldn't be more into Heather Mist.

Just assume a French accent and say, 'Heather Mist, aah, for the smell of it.'
The future I come from no longer exists.