Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

A replacement pickup for an Ibanez Roadster RS-900

<< < (3/5) > >>

Psycho Bass Guy:
A Thunderbucker would definitely give it more character. The Musician series of electronics always seemed to be as neutral as possible which really highlight the tonal character of the construction. The Roadster's less expensive build came through. Giving one an intentionally "charactered" pickup will give it a whole new life. Since the Roadster is a little mid-shy, the Thunderbucker should be a perfect fit sonically.

ack1961:
an early-80's to early 90's Super Ferrite?

Dave W:
IIRC Ibanez called this pickup the Super 4. I would not assume that anything mentioned here will fit as a drop-in replacement. Just because it's a soapbar that looks like the same shape doesn't mean the dimensions will be the same.

Psycho Bass Guy:
Dave, I've never made formal measurements, but the dimensions are visually a match to Bart soapbars. The Super 4 has smaller depth with a radiused top though, so depth could be an issue. I never knew the name of the pickup. The later Musician pickup I got off eBay later just said "Musician Bass Pickup" on the blister card and had a part number. I'm sure I kept the packaging, but it's buried in my garage somewhere. I would imagine that later pickup has a different name since it has a double set of adjustable double polepieces, almost 20 years before Fender started making the similar looking stack-paired Jazz MM-sized humbucker but without pole adjustments for the active USA Deluxe series.

Many of my basses are still at my parents' as my ongoing health issues have kept me from being able to get things straightened up here at my home to bring them here. I was visiting last week and went through the cases and played the ones still there for my 2 year old nephew, whom they keep for my brother during the day. He was enthralled, and I got to complement myself on having some VERY nice instruments. The necks on my G&L L5500 and my Fender Diamond Anniversary Jazz are so unbelievably fun, and the Musician, which is fretless, just sings. I played a bunch of 'music store goof off licks,' complete with crazy slapping, something I never use in bands, but I have developed a few licks I like. He just giggled, danced and clapped. It was a good day.

Psycho Bass Guy:
BTW, the later "Musician" pickup that I have looks to be the same as the neck pickup in this Destroyer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version