Author Topic: Quality Child Size Guitars?  (Read 4297 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Quality Child Size Guitars?
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »
My five year old wants guitar lessons (which I'm more than happy to make happen), but I want to get him a guitar that, while small enough for his stature, is equal in quality to anything I'd buy for him if he were 17 and asking. I'm leaning electric for the time being but could go either way. I know of smaller basses out there but have no clue about guitars. Anybody out there have any experience or advice?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Quality Child Size Guitars?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »
Basic acoustic - keep it simple and don't overcomplicate it for him - a nylon strung acoustic will have strings that won't "bite" his fingers - you have to think of all the things that could put him off...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:26:02 PM »
I was thinking of getting my 12 year old a Baby Taylor.  Not sure if that would be small enough for a 5 year old though.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »
I was going to say a nylon string classical guitar myself.  I'm sure there are plenty of junior sized instruments to choose from.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »
While I'm sure he'll want an acoustic at some point, he's itching to get his inner Randy Rhoads on and, as such, I'm looking for a half or 3/4 size electric. Squier has one but I wasn't very impressed with one I saw a few years back. I'm considering this one:

http://www.smallguitars.com/catalog/299-1-2_size_KHS_1-2_size_strat_style_electric_guitar_with_tremolo

Musicians Friend has a couple small Epi guitars and a couple other brands, so I'm not sure yet. The one above got a pretty good review at the site (if it's real), as well as another review that mentions having to get it set up, but I'd expect to do that anyway...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
A lot depends on what you mean by 1/2 or 3/4 size. The one in your link says 1/2 size and it's 22.25" scale. Yet Fender 3/4 size (the first two versions of the Duo-Sonic) was 22.5" scale. The old 3/4 size Melody Makers and Juniors were 22.75" scale. The problem with any of these is that they don't sound as good as a conventional scale length, even if you pay big bucks for a vintage one.

If he can handle a 24" scale, you might want to look at the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Duo-Sonic. I haven't seen one in person but many folks over at the Tele Forum (TDPRI) just rave about how good the Classic Vibe and Classic Vibe Custom Teles are for the price. They're a few steps above the typical Squier.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'll check that out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:11:06 PM by OldManC »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
My son is  nearly 6 and asking to learn to play. I have been hesitant to get him a reduced size guitar after I had a teacher tell me that in his experience he found that students tended to become attached to their instruments over time, not to mention comfortable with the size of the frets. He said it was a bit of a problem getting some students to move up to genuine sized instruments.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »
If you definitely want to travel that road...

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-1983-Hondo-Chiquita-Travel-Guitar

Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
My son is  nearly 6 and asking to learn to play. I have been hesitant to get him a reduced size guitar after I had a teacher tell me that in his experience he found that students tended to become attached to their instruments over time, not to mention comfortable with the size of the frets. He said it was a bit of a problem getting some students to move up to genuine sized instruments.

I'm not surprised by that.

OTOH I consider 24" scale to be a genuine size. A Fender Jaguar is 24" scale. It's not as clear as the longer scales but it has its own thing going and doesn't have the tonal and intonation issues on the low E and A like the sub-24" scales.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »
Forgot to add... found a UK link to a 22.5" scale length mini black Precision... bound to be something similar your side of the pond... ;)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »
I bought my daughter the bass version of this - known as the Corsair - and it is most excellent!

http://www.amazon.com/Samick-Mailbu-Mini-Metallic-Finish/dp/B0002D02QM

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
I've heard some great things about those small Samick basses. I'm thinking of getting one of those as well so he'll get some time with a 4 string as well. Thanks for the tip!

nofi

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 05:46:30 PM »
i bought my 6 year old grand daughter a uke because she wanted a 4 string "guitar" like mine. she already uses many top secret tunings.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
I have one of the Samick (Greg Bennett) P basses which he plays with a little.
I put some EMG Select pups in it and it really is quite good.

George was originally posting about Guitars for kids and my son Nicholas has told me he wants to learn guitar. I didnt realise that Samick also made them in guitars as well so thanks for that info.

Digresion our specialty!