Author Topic: New Gretsch G5123B Limited edition medium scale bass  (Read 13600 times)

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
New Gretsch G5123B Limited edition medium scale bass
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
http://www.thomann.de/it/gretsch_g5123b_limited_edition_bass.htm

Nice, very nice. Is this some kind of reissue or a new bass?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Gretsch G5123B Limited edition medium scale bass
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
Pilgrim has one, see Gretsch GAS strikes! Pic on second page.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
The Gretsch G5123B is an absolutely lovely hollowbody that's a great buy, as it has features found on other Gretsch basses that cost anywhere from two to four times as much.  It is made in Korea and the workmanship and construction are first-rate.

Just about everything you'd like to learn about the bass can be found in this long TB thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/new-gretsch-electromatic-hollowbody-bass-713507/

My first post in that thread is #44.  Pictures at post #50.

Short version: the bass came out for Black Friday 2010, UN-announced other than a mailer to Guitar Center customers. It has never appeared in their online catalog listings, nor has it been featured in any ads, online or print.  Each Guitar Center received one, and no other outlets in the US have received any.  It evidently is an offering unique to GC...or so I thought.  Iome's ad is the first I have ever seen outside Guitar Center that offers the bass new.  A very few have been resold in the US, and TB members generally spotted the ads and posted them in the thread I linked above.

It was originally thought to be a single production run instrument, as the first round of basses sold out pretty quickly.  However, within a month a second shipment of basses appeared in GC's computers (that's when I got mine after I was alerted by the TB thread).  From that time on, whenever a GC sells their single Gretsch G5123B, another one appears within a week or so.  

Best guess is that Gretsch has some kind of test marketing deal with GC to find out if there's an ongoing market for this Electromatic model.  I think there will be, as it offers a very similar set of features to the Broadkaster G6199B, (30", Filtertrons, $1750) the Electrotone G6073 model (30", $2050) and the White Falcon (34" scale, $3200)....but retail is about $799 (it may have gone up up $25 or so this year).

Differences....
- No pickguard on the 5123 (the 6073 doesn't have one either)
- 32" scale instead of 30"
- No binding inside the F-holes
- ThunderTron pickups, same as 6073 and White Falcon

The body is deeper front-to-back than the typical EB-2 and Casady-type basses, and overall the bass in 32" scale is longer than my 34" scale Casady. You're not likely to find a gig bag that will fit it.  It's a great player with lovely sound, and that Gretsch orange is something that stands out in any setting.

BTW - this is a big instrument and it's hard to find a case for it.  Your best bet is acoustic bass casses.  The best case anyone has found for it is a Road Runner hard case carried by GC which I discovered.  The only thing that's not perfect is that the upper strap button hits the interior foam, but all you need to do is press a recess into the foam...no big deal.  Here's the info that was on the tag with the case:

Roadrunner RRMBA 17 ABS Molded Acous Bass GTR case
UPC code on the tag is: 6 56238 01 527 1.

Photos:

More photos!!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:09:51 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »
There's one on eBay now.  New listing.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »
Beautiful. I love the look of this bass.
I hate threads with Pilgrims stuff pictured...makes me want to sell all my crap and buy his stash.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
Hey, I probably buy cheaper basses than anyone else here. That $799 Gretsch is the most expensive bass I own. But I do try to take decent photos occasionally. Thanks for the kind words.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
It's the nicest $799 hollow body bass out there IMHO.  A nice specimen.  I even like the 32" scale.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Hey, I probably buy cheaper basses than anyone else here. That $799 Gretsch is the most expensive bass I own. But I do try to take decent photos occasionally. Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, we've owned a lot of the same basses, but yours always look nicer.
You're either a great photographer and/or you don't have an 18 year in 2 different bands using your stuff.
My basses always smell like Red Bull and Skittles...
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »

You're either a great photographer and/or you don't have an 18 year in 2 different bands using your stuff.

You may have pinpointed it there! I'm the only one who uses my stuff.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
I can't see if this has been covered in the threads, but do you think it will fit in a Mono dual bass case?  I'm a little concerned about the thickness of the body.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »
I can't see if this has been covered in the threads, but do you think it will fit in a Mono dual bass case?  I'm a little concerned about the thickness of the body.

I'm not familiar with the case you mention, but there's a RoadRunner acoustic bass case Guitar Center sells that holds it.  The body is about an inch deeper than the normal Casady or 335-style bass, so the best place to look is in the acoustic bass case inventory.  

Here's what was on the tag of my case:

There's a pic of mine in the case earlier in the thread.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »
I'm not familiar with the case you mention, but there's a RoadRunner acoustic bass case Guitar Center sells that holds it.  The body is about an inch deeper than the normal Casady or 335-style bass, so the best place to look is in the acoustic bass case inventory.  

Here's what was on the tag of my case:

There's a pic of mine in the case earlier in the thread.

Thanks - I saw that.  I have been intrigued by these but as Bill knows my real GAS is for a G6072.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »
Don't blame you one iota.  LOVELY basses.

To my eye, there are few instruments which look more like a guitar or bass should look than a Gretsch hollow body. 

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
You bet.  I'm just sitting tight waiting patiently.