Author Topic: Close call  (Read 569 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Close call
« on: August 31, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »
Got a pm from an old friend yesterday telling me about a Vox teardrop bass for sale in Bridgewater , about an hour's drive from Halifax .
I was pretty sure it was a reissue . But down that rabbit hole I went and tried to quickly learn as much as I could about them . I saw the Rolling Stones first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show and was forever scarred watching Brian Jones play a Vox .
Some friends have told me about cutting the horns off a bass to try and achieve that look . Never went that far myself but I understand .
In the end I decided not to get it . It was definitely a reissue . I was glad to do the research .
And this morning discovered the bass quickly sold . Asking price was $699 Cdn , I don't know what it sold for .
And would not be surprised to see me pick one up at some future time . My inner fifteen year old still thinks they're cooler than hell .
Pic from the net , but it looked just like this ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Close call
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 01:25:53 AM »
I had a reissue too, but the coffin shape. Same colour.

Some thoughts:

It looks great! But if you compare it to an old one it's really small. The real one has a big long scale P neck and the reissue is short. It's like they put it on the copier, hit the 80% button and you got a smaller bass. Too small to my taste.

It sounded very mediocre, if I'm positive. Even with good strings. I was thinking about a new guard and a new pickup.

In the end i sold it to a friend. He put on an ashtray, some new controls, a small Vox decal, a thumb rest. It looks the part now, but still small.