Author Topic: Travel/health insurance question  (Read 1608 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Travel/health insurance question
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »
We have a young gent from Fresno scheduled to be staying with us for a couple of months later this year and are enquiring on any recommendations on insurance for him whilst he stays with us...
I know the UK health service is pretty lapse for checks but it will be bad news if worst case scenario, etc...

Much obliged for any replies...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Travel/health insurance question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
We have a young gent from Fresno scheduled to be staying with us for a couple of months later this year and are enquiring on any recommendations on insurance for him whilst he stays with us...
I know the UK health service is pretty lapse for checks but it will be bad news if worst case scenario, etc...

Much obliged for any replies...

My daughter got sick in London 5 or so years ago.  Everything, including her hospital stay was taken care of by your NHS.  I've heard similar stories from other USA travelers to the UK.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
My daughter got sick in London 5 or so years ago.  Everything, including her hospital stay was taken care of by your NHS.  I've heard similar stories from other USA travelers to the UK.

I have as well.  He might check into return insurance that gets him home should there be a terrible accident.  A lot of international business people and hunters etc, have it.  It is a couple hundred not thousands per year.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
Ditto, my sister in law and her husband were living in Manchester while he worked on his PHD and she needed major surgery - all covered. 

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »
Just so's ya know, there is a lot of controversy doing the rounds here because of a rather higher than expected (think Governmental f*ck-up) influx in non Euro immigrants and our borders are now fully open (1st Jan) for a further influx of fully legal eastern Europeans that the NHS is falling apart at the seams... there is serious talk of forcing non-residents to have to pay for treatment, albeit almost impossible to have to police... due to Euro laws any Bulgarian or Romanian may now enter the UK for work and will (shortly) be able to claim benefits and free NHS treatment from now... the last major influx ('04) was Polish and that resulted in them now being the third highest population in the UK from the viewpoint of place of birth; 2nd being Indian, 4th being Pakistani... the Gov has no true idea of what will happen... ten times as many Poles came in compared to what was expected...

Hence the request for advice on travel here from the USA because he may need the cover in advance...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »
I'll write a friend for you.  He is an avid hunter and travels all over the world.
PS Camera and tranquilzer darts only  ;D

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
Cheers Rob... pm or post when you get a chance... any other ideas/options welcomed...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Quick PM
Hope it helps!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
Got it and passed on thanx...