Author Topic: Schecter Ultra  (Read 3785 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Schecter Ultra
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:00:11 AM »
One local shop has a bunch of Schecter basses though not this model. I have to say I have been quite impressed with the overall quality of the Schecter basses I have played. I am pretty tempted by this ! Click basses and scroll down to find the Ultra http://www.schecterguitars.com/domestic.asp
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Schecter Ultra
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »
I am pretty much a die hard Fender guy but I've picked up a couple of Schecters in stores was very impressed myself. They feel good , sound good and the fit and finish was excellent. Prices were always ranging from reasonable to way less than I expected ;D
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
I bought a used C4 series Schecter recently - it's one of the best assembled and finished basses I've ever seen, and it sounds great!

Although they're not 'budget bass" priced, they're not far above it, and the quality in that price range is excellent.  The Ultra looks really interesting, and I'd love to play one of their "Model T" telecaster bass copies.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
The Ultra looks like the budget T-Bird Gibson should be making. I'd love to try one myself.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
My problem with Schecter basses has been the active EMGs in every one I've tried. At least this one has passive EMGs, might be an improvement.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
Pretty cool, they paid attention with the thru neck and bridge/tailpiece. Looks like they're going for $700 new on Ebay. 

Re the 'budget Tbird', I bought an Epi Pro IV 'second' or 'reject' which was just the body/thru neck minus everything else.  Other than the fact the trussrod is screwed the fit and finish, frets, etc are excellent.  I know, active pups.  Since this one had none I don't know what it would have sounded like.  But it sounds good with a set of EMG Hz passives in it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
The EMGs in my C4XXX are passive, but they run through an active (of course) preamp.  They sound fine to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
I forgot to mention that I got a chance to try an Epi Pro V a couple of weeks ago. It sounded like a T-Bird should, active pickups and all; the sound was still very aggressive and not at all 'icepicky earthquake' like most cheap active basses. What I couldn't get past was the width of the neck. It reminded me of the Korean Conklin 7 strings, no kidding. It was way too wide and the neck profile too shallow. I could live with the shallow profile, but that huge width made it nearly unplayable. The four string version doesn't look like it suffers from the same affliction.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:43:16 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »
If the preamp sounds good, I have no problem with a passive pickup/active preamp combination. OTOH the original internally active EMGs just don't do it for me.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »
Clutching at the EMG connection to stay on topic, I had a Spector Rebop for a while. Struggled with the stock preamp, swapped it for an Aguilar which wasn't much improvement, then took the pre out altogether and wired the HZs passive. From then on I loved it. Would still have it if I had a use for a five string.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
I haven't opened up the control cavity on my C-4XXX, but evidently the preamp has some dip switches which can be set to various configurations to vary the frequency response/output.  Dunno if the other Schecters have that feature.  

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:35:59 AM »
Wow, that sounds like a great feature. I know very little bout preamped basses but that sounds like a fantastic idea.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
That has become more common in preamps, although most still don't have them. Another tone shaping tool you can use, or not.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
My problem with Schecter basses has been the active EMGs in every one I've tried. At least this one has passive EMGs, might be an improvement.

I put a pair of Passive EMG Humbuckers in my Dean Edge (Basswood body, Maple /Rosewood neck) and I really love the sound. Its quite different from my other basses. Very punchy but still with a bit of wood to the sound. I tried the matching Active pups which are now sitting in a darwer, too clinical.

Same Passive EMG's are in the Schecter Hellraiser. Main difference is that the Hellraiser has almost the same wood makup of a T-bird but with a maple top. Lovely sound. Tight and dark with a controlled blur beautiful bass that one. This is one of the Korean ones from the Samick factory.

Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »
That Hellraiser is one beautiful bass.  I'm surprised it took me so long to find Schecter.  They don't seem to get the attention that some other non-major brands get...but they make very nice instruments.