Author Topic: 8 String Thunderbird/REV 82 Build  (Read 16015 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: 8 String Thunderbird/REV 82 Build
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 12:03:48 PM »
Wow Carlo you have our mojo happening here. 
I have liked all of your work I've seen but some things like the neck transition are so sublime it is like you have jumped a class.
Congrats!
Rob Francis

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »
Wow Carlo you have our mojo happening here. 
I have liked all of your work I've seen but some things like the neck transition are so sublime it is like you have jumped a class.
Congrats!
Rob Francis

Thanks, Rob!  After painting the neck on Scott's NR I realized it would have looked better with a smoothed neck heel but it was too late.  Thinning out the body at the heel was a calculated risk, all the tension is at the heel edge.  The neck screws are three different lengths to allow for the different thicknesses, it feels rock solid.  It's been fun making improvements from bass to bass.  The body shape wasn't working at all for me until the final trimming.  Now I like it a lot.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
  I am very happy with the neck heel profile, feels great to me, I'm glad you didn't shave it down.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Here's what passes for my spraybooth setup.  The support is a guitar stand with a 2x4 attached to the short leg to make it vertical.  1/2" emt with connector attached is held in the stand by the adjusting screw.  Another piece of EMT is attached to the body.  It sits in the connector and allows easy (and cheap) rotation.

Rustoleum "Racing Green Metallic" removed from the rattlecan and sprayed with a gun, ready for a second topcoat of Mohawk Piano Lacquer.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
Way to reuse what you have for the booth.  Doesn't have to be fancy to do a good job!

That's coming along nicely... love the color. 

Good looking brass(?) nut on that too.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Way to reuse what you have for the booth.  Doesn't have to be fancy to do a good job!

That's coming along nicely... love the color. 

Good looking brass(?) nut on that too.

Thanks!  It's not quite the 24 foot Devilbiss booth with 42" fan I used to have but it does what I need, namely contain overspray.  The brass nut is from a Korean Rogue 8er.  Similar ones are on my Robelli and Dean.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »
Looks great!! Just like all of your builds  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »
Wicked cool! That is pretty much what my spray booth is going top be, sod the neighbors.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:35:43 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 08:04:21 AM »
Wicked cool! That is pretty much what my spray booth id going top be, sod the neighbors.

I ran into my next door neighbor, the only one I talk to (maybe 8 times in 5 years) last Sunday morning in Walmart while food shopping.  He told me the the neighbor across the street called the cops on him for playing bass one day.  Of course it wasn't him, it was me, but he didn't rat me out.  He said , "I can hear your spray gun every once in a while."  

You can probably get away with quite a bit if you choose your time right and don't use a fan, most likely you'll be spraying paint for no more than 30 minutes a day in 10 minute sessions and probably no more than a few times a month.  Around here it's not a problem, the other day was cloudy with no wind or bugs so I sprayed outside.

IMO there's usually a solution if you really want to do something.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:11:15 AM by dadagoboi »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
I can hear your spray gun???

What the hell is he doing, learning on the garage wall with a water glass pressed  to his ear???
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
carlo. i want to know how a guy from brooklyn winds up in small southern towns that seem picked at random.
 ;D

i've lived in the south almost 50 years yet on some quiet nights i can hear new york calling me home. ;)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
I can hear your spray gun???

What the hell is he doing, learning on the garage wall with a water glass pressed  to his ear???

I thought that was strange also.  After thinking about it I realized he meant the compressor.

carlo. i want to know how a guy from brooklyn winds up in small southern towns that seem picked at random.
 ;D

I moved to S. Florida from NY when I was 10.  Moved to Gainesville to attend UF in '64 and stayed 10 years.  After California, Louisiana (I met my wife in Hollywood, CA, she's from Natchitoches, we moved there in '89 and got divorced in 98), North Carolina and Asia I realized living in the South, especially this part of Florida is cheap and relatively civilized, especially compared to northern Louisiana.  Gainesville was always an oasis in the middle of RedNeckdom, venturing out of it in the mid 60s with long hair meant you might run into trouble.  Still is fairly progressive.  UF Shands Hospital is a great Research medical industrial complex.  The sports teams win more often than not.

I live 30 miles away, here it's God, Guns and the GOP (90% in the last election, I keep my head down).  It's about as close as I want to come to no government interference.  No state income tax, almost no real estate taxes.  Doesn't appear to be any code enforcement,  EPA, decent schools, real libraries, etc.  Perfect place for an anarchist.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:19:55 PM by dadagoboi »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »
I thought that was strange also.  After thinking about it I realized he meant the compressor.

I was guessing that as well....seemed like a very odd comment.  I have a compressor in my garage, and it is used for everything from tire filling to power tools to spraying (with a pressure regulator and filter connected to the output.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »
Snap in the booth, gets buffed in a week.

Fully dressed 'G8R Bass'

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
Looks like the color that Fender's Lake Placid Blue turns into after about 20+ years.  Nice!