Author Topic: 8 String Thunderbird/REV 82 Build  (Read 16018 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: 8 String Thunderbird/REV 82 Build
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
 In general for a 4 banger I find Warmoth necks to stiff but for a 8 string I bet they would be perfect.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »
In general for a 4 banger I find Warmoth necks to stiff but for a 8 string I bet they would be perfect.

The Warmoth necks are way overbuilt IMO.  I'm gonna give one of their 4 string angled, undrilled paddle heads a try.  Scarfed joint, 1/4" fretboard, thick headstock and the 2 stiffening rods should hold 8 strings.  Width is 1-11/16" at the nut, 1/16" narrower than my other Eighters.

That's AFTER I finish your NR, Scott! ;D

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
The Warmoth necks are way overbuilt IMO.  I'm gonna give one of their 4 string angled, undrilled paddle heads a try.  Scarfed joint, 1/4" fretboard, thick headstock and the 2 stiffening rods should hold 8 strings.  Width is 1-11/16" at the nut, 1/16" narrower than my other Eighters.

I have one of those on hand for a project and I can assure you that it will totally support the tension of an 8 string.
Built like a tank.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
Come to think of it, they build their 8 string necks in what they call the "fat back" design. A 4 string, P profile neck with paddle headstock should be just right.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
Come to think of it, they build their 8 string necks in what they call the "fat back" design. A 4 string, P profile neck with paddle headstock should be just right.

Plus a tighter radius fretboard will help for playing chords.

Here's  my 2 Korean Eighters, the Robelli sounds better.  It has single small trussrod 1 piece neck and handles 8 strings no problem.  The Dean Edge has a double trussrod 3 piece neck.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »
 For a budget 8 string I have heard nothing but good things about the Robelli.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
For a budget 8 string I have heard nothing but good things about the Robelli.

They go for $200-300 on Ebay.  Fit and finish are excellent.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
 I can't wait!
The Warmoth necks are way overbuilt IMO.  I'm gonna give one of their 4 string angled, undrilled paddle heads a try.  Scarfed joint, 1/4" fretboard, thick headstock and the 2 stiffening rods should hold 8 strings.  Width is 1-11/16" at the nut, 1/16" narrower than my other Eighters.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
Weather has been very cooperative the last few days, fairly cool and dry.  I'm finishing up a REV42 and a JAEbird.  Should have your NR41 ready for paint first week of November.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »
Since I'll be keeping this bass I decided to use the remaining body frrom the RNR project...this is the Non Reverse one that now lives near Buffalo, NY.

This is the Reverse one, made simply by flipping the blank.  Blue tape shows new perimeter.  'Dutchman' will fill neck pup hole

Sanding inside curves on a prototype can be a real PITA.  Here a 3/4 inch forstner hole makes it much easier.

Shaving neck starts with a surform type rasp, then sandpaper from 60 grit on up.

Rear of headstock prepared for veneer.  Even though I used backing when drilling the new holes there was some tearout.  This gray epoxy "jelly roll" has hardener on the inside and resin outside.  Slice off a piece, knead it and you have a "JB weld" type, quick setting, harder than bondo material that dries very quickly and can be easily shaped.  Great stuff! No mess and no waste.

Taper ream and rat tail/half round files remove and clean up veneer.  I use Titebond with a caul and a few clamps.  After a half hour or so it's ready to be unclamped and worked.

3/16" hole for inside radius.  That was one giant headstock!

Showing how predrilled hole simplifies the process.

Is it a bird? Is it a fish? It's a headstock...

Holes to fill and contours to smooth, upper fret access is OK for an Eighter.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 07:53:35 AM »
  Hmmmmmmmm might be a 8 string in my future ;)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
Looking good man! As usual... I'm starting to use my Ric 8 string some more now.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
Looking good man! As usual... I'm starting to use my Ric 8 string some more now.

Thanks!  They sure are fun to play in a trio.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
Filled unnecessary holes with combination of dowels, glue, epoxy putty and 2 part epoxy resin.  Then coat of auto lacquer spot putty.

The transition from the heel of the neck to the body was a little bulky, here it is smoothed out.  You can get an idea what the heel looked like from the neck shaving pic in the last post

Putty sanded off, bass assembled and set up.

Stack pot with shaved knobs, tone is from a stack set, top is a regular knob. About 1/16" height removed from T, 1/8" from V.  Electrosocket jack holder.

Ready to rouse the neighbors.  I'm thinking Pelham or Lake Placid Blue for color.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
I can't shout "pelham" loud enough! ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.