Author Topic: 8-string bridge for an Aria SB-700  (Read 7334 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
8-string bridge for an Aria SB-700
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »
I'm about to have my Aria SB-700 converted to an 8-string bass and what I need the most is a fully adjustable bridge. I've heard the Schaller bridge is a bit too wide so if anyone has any ideas and suggestions please tell. The neck width at the saddle is 45mm and at the body end 56mm.

The bass itself is heavily modified, it used to be a 9-string (like a 12-string but without G-strings) and is now a 6-string (tuned from E to E, like a Fender VI but with a full scale) so the headstock has the tuners and the neck will support the strings. As an 8-string it would get more usage as I need one in addition to two of my 12-strings.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: 8-string bridge for an Aria SB-700
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:05:19 AM »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »
No experience with that bridge but it looks pretty slick...what's the string spacing?

This is the bridge on my Robelli, the entire bass cost me what that bridge does.  I just bought two more 8ers that use the same setup, mainly for the necks, bridges and tuners to build 8 string basses.  Even if I end up buying new Warmoth necks and selling the remaining parts I'll still be ahead

Here's a reasonable 8 string bridge from Bezdez, it's string thru, to be honest I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-8-string-CHROME-/220487550478?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item335615060e

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
I'm about to have my Aria SB-700 converted to an 8-string bass and what I need the most is a fully adjustable bridge. I've heard the Schaller bridge is a bit too wide so if anyone has any ideas and suggestions please tell. The neck width at the saddle is 45mm and at the body end 56mm.

The bass itself is heavily modified, it used to be a 9-string (like a 12-string but without G-strings) and is now a 6-string (tuned from E to E, like a Fender VI but with a full scale) so the headstock has the tuners and the neck will support the strings. As an 8-string it would get more usage as I need one in addition to two of my 12-strings.

I have the same passive (passive version which i think that one is)  put a emg active HB in it.  sounds better.  that doesnt look like the original pup either...

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
I used to get mine from Hamer but the one from the Futura was the last one I had. I'm Looking in to have some machined for my future bass projects.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »

Here's a reasonable 8 string bridge from Bezdez, it's string thru, to be honest I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-8-string-CHROME-/220487550478?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item335615060e

Looks like the one on the new Hagström HB-8 so it has only four saddles. It has to have separate saddles for the octave strings too.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »

I have the same passive (passive version which i think that one is)  put a emg active HB in it.  sounds better.  that doesnt look like the original pup either...

This had the EMG too and now has the humbucker from my Waterstone TP-2. I will eventually move the pickup close to the neck and put a custom made Charlie Christian -type PU to the bridge position. Both of my 12-strings have those too and also roughly at the same location. Will be wired in stereo.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 03:11:22 AM »
Looks like the one on the new Hagström HB-8 so it has only four saddles. It has to have separate saddles for the octave strings too.

Intonation is highly overrated ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:04 AM »

Especially on anything below a low E string   ;)  ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »
Especially on anything below a low E string   ;)  ;D

There's nothing below low E.
"There be monsters".
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
A few months back I bid on a Stars Guitars tune o matic style 8 string bridge and tailpiece. It went for something like $275.00!!!! The tailpiece was like an Alembic 8 string.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »

It shouldn't be.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
Just kidding.  but my Robelli is spot on with these saddle settings.  That's why I don't think that cheapy bridge is so bad that a file couldn't fix it.  That and the fact a lot of GREAT music has been recorded on Telecasters, EBs and 60s Thunderbirds with fairly poor capabilities to dial in perfect intonation

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Just kidding.  but my Robelli is spot on with these saddle settings.  That's why I don't think that cheapy bridge is so bad that a file couldn't fix it.  That and the fact a lot of GREAT music has been recorded on Telecasters, EBs and 60s Thunderbirds with fairly poor capabilities to dial in perfect intonation

The fact is that I need a whole new bridge since the one that is on now has six saddles so I'd rather have a bridge that at least has the option to get the intonation right and could be adjusted more easily than with a file since I'm not too handy with one.:)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 03:56:25 PM »
The fact is that I need a whole new bridge since the one that is on now has six saddles so I'd rather have a bridge that at least has the option to get the intonation right and could be adjusted more easily than with a file since I'm not too handy with one.:)

Makes sense!

How about one of these?
http://www.allparts.com/Chrome-ABM-8-String-Bass-Bridge-p/bb-0338-010.htm
$110 US plus shipping.  I'm a dealer