Author Topic: 32" build idea - am I freakin' nuts???  (Read 3191 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: 32" build idea - am I freakin' nuts???
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 07:13:16 AM »
I've got a 32" scale project Ibanez '84 Destroyer X w Dimarzio P/J pups.  1/1/2" wide @ the nut and 2 1/4" string spacing (19mm) @ bridge.  It's fun to play and to me closer in sound and feel to a 34 than a 30.  I put longscale 45-105s or close to them on everything I got, you don't necessarily need a thru body to use them on shorter scale basses.

I just bought four 32" scale LH pink SX basses from Rondo Music on closeout ($60 each including combined shipping) mainly for the necks, tuners, some hardware and target practice.  I'm considering building Baby 'Birds with them. 

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
Can you tell me what the nut width is on both of your 32's?  And, most importantly, what is the string spacing at the bridge?

The Distillate is just shy of 43mm at the nut (1 11/16"), and string spacing at the bridge is 17mm.

The Ibby 8str is also about 43mm at the nut (1 11/16"), and string spacing at the bridge is slightly wider at 18mm.

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 08:55:47 AM »
I've got a 32" scale project Ibanez '84 Destroyer X w Dimarzio P/J pups.  1/1/2" wide @ the nut and 2 1/4" string spacing (19mm) @ bridge.  It's fun to play and to me closer in sound and feel to a 34 than a 30.  I put longscale 45-105s or close to them on everything I got, you don't necessarily need a thru body to use them on shorter scale basses.

I just bought four 32" scale LH pink SX basses from Rondo Music on closeout ($60 each including combined shipping) mainly for the necks, tuners, some hardware and target practice.  I'm considering building Baby 'Birds with them. 

DAMN! i wanted one of those for the neck, the lefties goes for 49 $. what holds me back is the shipping costs....80$  :o . If you consider selling a neck let me know.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »
DAMN! i wanted one of those for the neck, the lefties goes for 49 $. what holds me back is the shipping costs....80$  :o . If you consider selling a neck let me know.
[/quote]

Iome, if I do decide to sell any I will let you know but at this point I'm going to hang on to them, I've already traded one neck to a guitar playing buddy for a Jazz neck after I depinked the headstock and want to keep the rest for projects.  I don't think they will be available after they sell out this run.

For anybody interested in buying one from Rondo in the US, they are 2 1/4" at the neck pocket, 1 1/2" at the nut.  The shipping per unit dropped because they come four to a master carton.  To the northeast it's around $15 to ship one.  XLNT frets and they adjust dead straight.  Complete with pink gig bag, strap, stickers and a DVD on how to play!

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »
thanks anyway Dada. mayme i should have someone to buy it and send me the neck.....hmm, that'll be 49 + 15 +?....might be an idea, especially if someone needs a loaded body..  :-\

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
The Distillate is just shy of 43mm at the nut (1 11/16"), and string spacing at the bridge is 17mm.

The Ibby 8str is also about 43mm at the nut (1 11/16"), and string spacing at the bridge is slightly wider at 18mm.

Great, thanks!  I'm thinking that in keeping with Ric vibe I'll go with about 1 5/8" a the neck and run narrow at the bridge as well - about 18mm.

I wonder what the new Ric humbucker that they put on the new basses sounds like?

Can't beat donor basses at $60!

I still think I'm going string through - this way I'll boost the sustain a bit and I can be sure that it's easy to string.  The Hipshot A bridge easily facilitates string through.