Author Topic: 32" build idea - am I freakin' nuts???  (Read 3192 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
32" build idea - am I freakin' nuts???
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:50:05 AM »
I love the Waterstones and the 32" scale they offer - just not on the four strings.  I've lusted after a Ric 3000 forever but I think the 30" scale as too small for my oversize mitts.  So I have the wild hair about building a single pickup 32" scale project.  I'm thinking string through bridge so as to be able to use regular strings.  I'm considering a Ric style body - though at this point I'm open to anything.  I'll probably go bolt on but perhaps with an extended pocket.

So, am I nuts?  What will I gain or loose buy using this scale?  Obviously there has to be something wrong with it as it hardly exists outside multistring basses.  I'm open to any and all comments - questions about my sanity will be redundant as my family has questioned that for years ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:34:37 AM by Lightyear »

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: 32" build idea - am I freakin' nuts???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:56:06 AM »
after checking thier site, i come away with the impression one should check into them. a 32" scale build is a great idea.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:05:27 AM »
I think it sounds like a fun project, regardless of scale length.  Doesn't matter to me whether it's 30, 32, 34 or 35, it's all cool!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »
I dig the mid-scale!  They're very comfortable to play (as with the short scales), but with more authority in the low register.  That low-E will ring out when you want it to!  I remember reading that Alembic/RT used 32" quite a bit due to the fact that it was a good compromise between short scale playability and long scale sound.

My Ibanez ST-980 and Alembic Distillate are both this scale:

Sounds like a fun project!  I've lusted for the 3000s too.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:33:34 AM »
I've always wanted a 32" scale bass too.  I'd go for it!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »
I don't care for the 32" scale, to me it's a weak substitute for either a short or long scale. It's okay on the D and G, but you don't get the nice roundness of a short scale and the E and A just don't ring out like a long scale. Especially the E.

JMHO, YMMV.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »
Great, now I've slipped over the precipice! ;D  Thanks guys! 

Anyone have any idea on the number of frets?  Chromium, what's the fret count on your two 32's?  I always want to default to 20 but wonder about 22 - 24 might get a little crowded.

I also am concerned with string spacing in regards to the pickups.  I love the neck on my Stingray at 1 5/8"  - maybe something between that and 1 1/2 inches?

Right now I'm thinking maple neck, rosewood board, and chambered mahogany or walnut with a maple cap.  Any thoughts?

I'm going to post a request for 3000 trace here with Ric group so I that I have a starting point.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »
I don't care for the 32" scale, to me it's a weak substitute for either a short or long scale. It's okay on the D and G, but you don't get the nice roundness of a short scale and the E and A just don't ring out like a long scale. Especially the E.

JMHO, YMMV.

You think the E is as weak on a 32 as it is on a 30?

Do you think a brighter wood would help offset the characteristic?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »
I've never heard that before about the weak strings on a 32" scale.  Since it isn't only about string length, I would think wood characteristics, pickups, wiring, etc. would have some effect or be able to improve on that.  Then again, maybe not!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »
I wouldn't call it weak, it just doesn't come close to the sound of a 34" scale E. I don't think a brighter wood would help, it's just characteristic of the scale length.

The 33 1/4" Rickenbacker scale is the shortest I've heard where the E still has the 34" scale sound.

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »
I have a mystery Washburn headless bass that used to say "Force 42" it's the only 32" bass I have but it always sounds killer. And I treat this thing like a red headed step child too. I'm not sure it has ever had new strings on it, just cast offs from other 34" Fenders... that I don't have any more.

It is the only bass that doesn't lose notes with the Aguilar DB 750 amps at our practice space, I don't know why but these amps just do not like me.

A Ric shape would be way cool too, I have been thinking about one for a while now myself.

Bring on the Nubiles

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
Okay, better clarify my remarks. I didn't mean that the sound is weak or that the strings are weak, I mean I think it's a poor compromise between long and short scales. You get the (relative) disadvantages of both, not the strengths.

Sort of the same way I feel about ground roundwounds.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »
Anyone have any idea on the number of frets?  Chromium, what's the fret count on your two 32's?  I always want to default to 20 but wonder about 22 - 24 might get a little crowded.

My 32s are both 24 fret... and yeah its guitar territory up there.  Especially on the Alembic, which sports some big jumbo frets.

I would think wood characteristics, pickups, wiring, etc. would have some effect or be able to improve on that.  Then again, maybe not!

The sustain and lower register response on these maybe is aided by the fact that they both have big honkin' brass sustain blocks sunk into the body, one's neck-thru, and the other has a beefy bolt neck attachment w/machine screws and threaded inserts (not sure if that makes a difference?).  Both basses are largely maple and mahogany.

Here are some sounds I had made putzing around on the Alembic when I first got it.  Might help give you some idea of the 32" sound...
   (bass and solo parts)
   (bass part at 1:15 - actaullly the whole song is the Alembic fed into an old Korg synth, which is tracking the bass' pitch )

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
Thanks Joe!  The Alembic sounds great!  Of course, it's an Alembic  ;)

I hate to keep pestering you for info but:  Can you tell me what the nut width is on both of your 32's?  And, most importantly, what is the string spacing at the bridge?  I want to think this through carefully and avoid as many pitfalls as possible.  Standard spacing seems to be .750 or 19mm and it looks like I can get .6xx or 18mm-ish with A hipshot A bridge.

In line with string spacing is pickup selection.  At this point I'm thinking a Pitbull, chrome, or perhaps a Fralin Bassbucker in the sweet spot.  Both are humbucker size and I want to make sure that the strings line up to the pickup.  With the Pitbull the string spacing is identical to a 51 P - I would like to make sure that I line up to the pole pieces.

As for the neck pocket I'm thinking six to seven bolts, with a shaped neck joint, with machined inserts in the neck ala Mr. Aquafresh
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:55:32 AM by Lightyear »