Author Topic: Ampeg B-1R musings  (Read 3975 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Ampeg B-1R musings
« on: May 03, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
So there is a used Ampeg B-1R, the single-space rackmount amplifier, available locally for $300. I've been GASless for months - I can go into stores, play cool basses, look at online retailers, without a twinge - and then of course something comes up that sets me on edge. I've been thinking about how I could use this and thought I would ask you guys.

Currently I've been using a GK MB-112 II, which has been great. Plenty of power for my needs, I can't fault the sound. I also use an Alembic F-2B preamp for recording. But I have always fantasized about playing through a tube amp. I know that "tube amp" can mean different things to different advertising departments people - the main fantasy for me is the Orange AD200. My favorite part of the GK combo is the light weight - even my Epiphani 2X10 cab is a bit much for me to carry - yes I have wimped out! I just don't like being all worn out after carrying my cab - I have considered a cart of some kind but the GK is so portable.

So one idea I had was to use the B-1R as a preamp before the GK. The B-1R has a footswitchable boost channel, so instead of getting a separate boost pedal (something I've been meaning to do since I switched back to my Fulltone Bass Drive) I could also use the B-1R for that. One rumor is that these are known to overheat. Some deny this, but I bet it was people pushing them too hard, since they are only 150 watts @ 4 ohms. But if I just use it as a preamp then no problems, unless I overload the front end of the GK.

Another idea is to go for a small lightweight separate cab of some kind - the SVT210AV 2X10 part of the micro series is an interesting candidate, or maybe something more robust like the Aguilar SL 112. But that's down the line - can only afford the amp for now. I could also play it through my Epiphani - gotta check the ohm rating on that one, I think it's 8 though.

I have checked out this thread here at the outpost as well as what I could easily find at TB. The B-1R seems to be fairly sought-after - but maybe I'm just giving in to gear lust? I get some 12AX7-style tube sound from my CAJ compressor, maybe that's enough? Or since this will require that I lug a rack around, maybe I should just bring my F-2B around with me?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Ampeg B-1R musings
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:02:28 AM »
I still have mine.  It's versatile as a pre and also as a power amp for my Demeter pre.  Haven't had any problems with it.  It's quiet and has a lot of tone shaping in an SVT way.  It weighs 14 lbs.

I'm currently using a Streamliner 900 which has a 3 tube front end and 900 class D watts.  I use it with a 17"x20"x 12" shelf port 1-15 3/4" plywood/Eminence legend cab.  6 lbs for the amp, 34 for the cab.

As far as tubes, the more the better IMO.  Among my tube amps the 3 tube Streamliner > 2 tube Demeter > 2 tube B1r > 1 tube Shuttle.

I also have a Hughes Kettner 2 tube (12 AX7 pre, EL84 power)  'Blues Master/Crunch Master' that is pretty cool for over the top tube tone.
http://lazytechguys.com/commentary/hidden-treasure-hughes-kettner-blues-master-guitar-amp-pre-amp/#.U2YrSyjd25U

I'd say give the CL B1R a try.  If you like it, see if he'll take $250.  One went for around that on Ebay recently.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Thanks for that feedback. How come these go for so cheap? Is it because it is relatively low-powered? Nowadays you can get more power for lighter & smaller, but does this older stuff have something that's missing in the newer light stuff?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
Thanks for that feedback. How come these go for so cheap? Is it because it is relatively low-powered? Nowadays you can get more power for lighter & smaller

Most people don't know they exist, there aren't a lot of them around.  They do supposedly have overheating problems but I haven't.  The weight is mainly due to the case, it's heavy gauge sheet metal.  Could be a lot lighter.

does this older stuff have something that's missing in the newer light stuff?

Yeah, the old stuff was designed to SOUND like even older stuff....not just as a sales gimmick like a lot of the newer single tube preamps.  The GB Shuttle is good but lacks old school tube sound, but they really didn't market it that way.  It's a 'modern' sound.  Definitely better than a PF-500. IMO

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 12:08:07 AM »
Still haven't had a chance to check this thing out - partly hoping to snag it in the next couple of days, partly hoping it gets bought by someone else so I can save my money!  :mrgreen:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »
Still haven't had a chance to check this thing out - partly hoping to snag it in the next couple of days, partly hoping it gets bought by someone else so I can save my money!  :mrgreen:

I think we've all experienced that feeling!

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
If you miss out on the Ampeg, why not try out a Bass Terror 500? Hopefully a nearby shop has one you could demo. Same pre-amp as the AD 200, or so it is said. Lightweight and sounds good if you like the Orange sound.

You see them used now & then for $500 on TB. 

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 01:54:42 PM »
If you miss out on the Ampeg, why not try out a Bass Terror 500? Hopefully a nearby shop has one you could demo. Same pre-amp as the AD 200, or so it is said. Lightweight and sounds good if you like the Orange sound.

You see them used now & then for $500 on TB.

I thought I responded to this! Doh!

I either wasn't aware or had forgotten about the Bass Terror sharing the pre-amp with the AD 200. I'm not sure I'm willing to go that high though. I think I'm out of the market even on the B-1R - my wife has to go back to Japan so all my funds are going into that.  :-[  Unless I can move some stuff...  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:12:28 PM by hieronymous »

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
And I forgot you also have a Japanese better half.  The airfares have sure jumped a lot over the last five years. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »
Family's family, H... is the move long term, and is it likely you'll follow...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
And I forgot you also have a Japanese better half.  The airfares have sure jumped a lot over the last five years.

Fortunately I still have some leftover miles, so I only had to pay for her flight from Tokyo to Hokkaido.

Family's family, H... is the move long term, and is it likely you'll follow...?

No, I could never survive there! I can survive as a visitor, barely as a grad student, but could never see myself working there. I'm surprised I'm able to survive even in the US! She is just going to visit her family - hasn't been back in 6 years! Her dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and is getting an operation. She'll be back in 6 weeks.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 05:18:28 AM »
You'll never get me to go to Japan. I watch a lot of TV and see a lot of movies. They have way too many monsters there :o.
Rick

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
 ;D   ;D

My very most favorite BOC song. 

All joking aside a trip to Japan is on my bucket list - I'm a hand tool geek and want to visit the shops of the guys that forge the folded/forged blades.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »
;D   ;D

My very most favorite BOC song.

That video was nicely done!  ;D

All joking aside a trip to Japan is on my bucket list - I'm a hand tool geek and want to visit the shops of the guys that forge the folded/forged blades.

Japan is definitely a cool place for incredible crafts and interesting obscure stuff!

You'll never get me to go to Japan. I watch a lot of TV and see a lot of movies. They have way too many monsters there :o.

You've got something there - my uncle lives in Iwate prefecture which is north of Fukushima - they grow Shiitake mushrooms but they were rejected last year because the radiation level was too high  :sad:  I wouldn't be surprised if a real Godzilla was being forged in the ocean even as we speak...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 09:37:45 PM »
You've got something there - my uncle lives in Iwate prefecture which is north of Fukushima - they grow Shiitake mushrooms but they were rejected last year because the radiation level was too high  :sad:  I wouldn't be surprised if a real Godzilla was being forged in the ocean even as we speak...

Or Gamera might be awakened from his suspended animation.