Author Topic: getting lucky at Guitar Center  (Read 3075 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
getting lucky at Guitar Center
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »
I drive around the San Francisco Bay Area a lot for my job, and there are a few Guitar Centers within half an hour in any direction. As I am sure many of you are aware, there are some times when they have nothing that I would even bother to take off the wall to play, and there are other times when they have a bunch of interesting stuff. It's fun to take pictures too - my wife will even take some if I'm playing something.

I thought of you guys when I saw this (looked like a used Les Paul Double-Cut - at first I thought it was a Money Bass):

I also played a couple of Warwicks - one of the Rock Bass imports, not sure the model - Corvette maybe? Would've been a lot more impressive with fresh strings:

And a crazy $3000+ 6-string monstrosity that must have weighed at least 15 pounds:

Unfortunately, the Alembic was too high up to just grab - $3300, I think it was a Europa 5-string:

I didn't plug anything in - there had been what I think was an Ampeg rep demoing a new combo amp that tilted back and had built-in distortion. Should have played the Alembic through that while he was there!  8)  I was really surprised to see the Alembic. They had a brand new Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo and one of the new Gibson hollowbody basses (maybe a Midtown?) too.

chromium

• View Profile
Re: getting lucky at Guitar Center
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
Cool!  I remember when the SG basses first came out and I went in asking for them...  They told me those would probably only ever be special order.  Now lookatcha, GC - Gibsons everywhere!  :P

The coolest find (to me) that I can recall (and I seldom get to visit the GCs here), was a 60s Dano Longhorn.  Also got to noodle around on a late-60s Hofner 500/1 there recently.

One of the local stores where my son was taking drum lessons had a strange little (...and I mean little!) Fender Precision bass - 25-something-inches scale!  I think it was MIJ, but might be wrong about that.  It was really nice quality, black w/rosewood board, and a previous owner had dropped in a set of barts.  Almost bought it for the novelty, but they were asking $300 and I figured that the novelty would fade...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
Forgot that I had a photo of the munchkin Fender:

I have the equivalent (...but Indonesian; still decent and fun for the $$) Strat  ;D

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »
I saw a munchkin Fender P years ago at a pawn shop :o. Although it looked very well done , I thought it was a fake. I was tempted to pick it up just because I thought it was cool and it was cheap. I had absolutely no use for it, and I thought it was a fake, but it still tempted me :P.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
You sure that 4003 was new? Rickenbacker pulled out of GC again  2 or 3 years ago and AFAIK nothing has changed. The only Ricks on their website are used/vinatge.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
You sure that 4003 was new? Rickenbacker pulled out of GC again  2 or 3 years ago and AFAIK nothing has changed. The only Ricks on their website are used/vinatge.

Apparently they are back on again - I thought I had heard that they were authorized dealers again, then doubted myself when I read your post. But I checked at the Rick Resource Forum and some stores seem to have them - maybe "Platinum Room" stores?

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Cool!  I remember when the SG basses first came out and I went in asking for them...  They told me those would probably only ever be special order.  Now lookatcha, GC - Gibsons everywhere!  :P

The coolest find (to me) that I can recall (and I seldom get to visit the GCs here), was a 60s Dano Longhorn.  Also got to noodle around on a late-60s Hofner 500/1 there recently.

One of the local stores where my son was taking drum lessons had a strange little (...and I mean little!) Fender Precision bass - 25-something-inches scale!  I think it was MIJ, but might be wrong about that.  It was really nice quality, black w/rosewood board, and a previous owner had dropped in a set of barts.  Almost bought it for the novelty, but they were asking $300 and I figured that the novelty would fade...

Yeah, it's kind of surprising how many Gibson basses they carry.

I think I remember seeing those mini-basses in Japan, or at least in Fender Japan catalogs.

I should also mention that I bought my Guild Starfire I bass (since sold) at the Sacramento Guitar Center.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »

Your GC is WAY nicer than the one near me!
There's actual very nice basses hanging on the wall - At my store it's pretty much cheap, detestable
shite.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
There have been a LOT more Gibson basses turning up at the local GC's. I was surprised to see so many models hanging on the walls there. I like to drop in to them randomly to see whats new, but it's usually just a sea of the typical import guitars and basses.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »
I saw a munchkin Fender P years ago at a pawn shop :o. Although it looked very well done , I thought it was a fake. I was tempted to pick it up just because I thought it was cool and it was cheap. I had absolutely no use for it, and I thought it was a fake, but it still tempted me :P.
Rick

Actually, now that I think more about it... I believe the owner there was telling me that these were MIA.  Can't remember if he said it was a late-90s or early-00s endeavor, but he had told me that there was only a small number of them built - 60? 75?  Can't remember exactly.  Neat little bass, and fun to fly around on it.  Wish I could have bought it, but I gotta draw the line somewhere or else I have a "problem" :P

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 07:45:27 AM »
My Samick munchkin bass. Was my daughter's, but she's got a Spector NS-2A now, so I bought it from her. I bring it out to play the intro to Hot For Teacher in unison with our guitarist on occasion. 24-3/4'' scale length.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »
 ;D  Right on!

Jeez, kinda wish I woulda bought that thing.

See Harry, this is why I stay out of music stores... impulse purchase trauma, regrets, etc...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
I have a shed-full of regrets... and then there's the loft-space... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
;D  Right on!

Jeez, kinda wish I woulda bought that thing.

See Harry, this is why I stay out of music stores... impulse purchase trauma, regrets, etc...
I foolishly thought I was immune and was even ready to give you encouraging words - then an Ampeg B-1 appeared - single-space tube-pre/solid state-power amp - has my head spinning! Saw it online, but a local store (NOT GC) - already thinking about what cab I could use - would probably have to sell or trade something - the struggle continues...

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
Apparently they are back on again - I thought I had heard that they were authorized dealers again, then doubted myself when I read your post. But I checked at the Rick Resource Forum and some stores seem to have them - maybe "Platinum Room" stores?

Yes I saw a couple of new ones on the wall at the GC on Van Ness when I was in San Francisco a few weeks back.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV