Author Topic: Opinions on scale length for 8 string bass?  (Read 3406 times)

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Opinions on scale length for 8 string bass?
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
I've been assembling parts for an 8 string LP Triumph style bass and am not sure what scale length I want to go with.  I believe that some of the Hamers are 30" and 32". Anyone here have any insight into 8 string shorties?

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Opinions on scale length for 8 string bass?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »
I have or have had coursed-string basses in short, mid, and long scale lengths.

For me, the shorties seem to open up opportunity for more guitar-like playing (with pick, little bit of OD... or a lot... nice w/delays, reverb etc).  They'll cover bass stuff of course, but then I also find it easier to execute chords and lead playing.  Bends are made easier with the lower tension.  Of course, the low register isn't quite as assertive on the shorties (same deal as with four stringers), but there are other virtues to exploit.

pilgrim9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
I have had 8 & 12ers in long, medium & short scale and medium is way more playable if you have human hands. I get hand cramps after an hour or so of playing a long scale coursed string bass. I just do not like the low end sound of any short scale basses, all my 4 strings are long scale. I like the 32" scale best for 8 & 12 strings, you still get a nice low end and much easier for chords.
If you push something hard enough it must fall over.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »
I've had 2 long scale 8s, a short scale 8, and a short scale 12. I prefer long, but I think medium might be cool.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 04:06:28 AM »
34" on my Waterstone TP12 Series I is a beautiful sound, almost harp-like, but do you EVER pay for it with your fretting hand: easiest way to get Popeye forearms outside of adolescence.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
My only 12ver experience has been the 30.5" Hamer, but after playing that quite a bit lately I would surmise that a long scale 12 may be borderline painful for me.  Even the shorty provides some good physical therapy for me post carpal-tunnel surgery :)  All good, though... First gig with it coming up this weekend.

My Ric s/8 plays like a breeze, and so I personally wouldn't have reservations about a long(ish) scale 8er.

I have had a couple of 32" scale basses (an Alembic, which I still have, and my former Ibanez ST-980 8-string), and the low register is for sure a lot tighter.  Both of mine have the whole "brass mass" thing going on though, and I'm not sure how that plays in and whether it may favorably skew my perceptions of mid-scale.  Both are capable of ringing out like pianos (although I don't usually play with that kind of tone), and have decent command presence on the low notes.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
Thanks for the insight, fellas! I'm leaning towards a 32" scale, as I think I can make one of the the NOS gibby necks work without too much trouble. I'll post pics when I get started.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 03:03:33 AM »
I have had 8 & 12ers in long, medium & short scale and medium is way more playable if you have human hands.

I guess I have alien hands then ;D...never had any problems with either my Hamer neck or Waterstone TP-2 (the first model with the extra wide neck).

The only short scale 8-string I've played was the new Hagström HB8 and I wasn't impressed but that wasn't necessary the fault of a scale lenght.