Author Topic: bass guitar calendar?  (Read 3421 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
bass guitar calendar?
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
Every year when I look for calendars for the new year, I am tempted by guitar calendars but always disappointed - you're lucky to maybe get a vintage Fender for one month. I want a calendar that's all bass! Anyone aware of one?

Then I had a thought - I see people lately whose family members put together books with pictures of family, etc. You must be able to make calendars too. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Last Bass Outpost calendar with pictures of our instruments? Anyone want to take on the project?  ;)  It's probably too late for 2014 but maybe 2015?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: bass guitar calendar?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »
You can make calendars or have them custom-made.  I believe that MS Office or HP printers have software to make the calendars.  My in-laws gave me one they made a few years ago.  I'll check it out.  Wouldn't be too hard to college photos and birthdays.  Bet we could send them to an online vendor and order from them.

Edit: here you go - My HP printer software will let me do one, or better - Vistaprint offers that service and it looks like we might get the calendars for less than $10 each....  http://tinyurl.com/BOPcalendar

I'll study that offer a bit, but it seems to me like we just need to gather a dozen photos and perhaps birthdates for the members...the rest is plug & play.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:25:48 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »
Loads of options on line...

Perhaps Rob could produce something with the pics from Uwe's collection...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »

I could......... :o

You know  ;)

I actually do recall seeing a calender that feature bassists and their basses a few years back, I remember a pic of Justin Johnson with his RD.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
What you waiting for...? next year...? it's already 2014 here...

Happy new year guys and girls and others...!!! :)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »
Happy new year to all.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
Um, the big print houses probably run these things on the stuff I turn a wrench on ;D 

Most good full service, print shops can compile your artwork/files and plug it into any number of graphic programs and print one of these, including folding and saddle stitch, in a few minutes.  This would be on on 80 or 100 pound gloss text on 11x17 or 12x18.  The holidays come pre loaded and you can add your own "special" dates - the day Uwe bought his 500th bass or whatever.  This could be fun.

One of my best customers can do this though I have no idea on price.  There is some amount of setup charge to build the job up in, most likely, Adobe InDesign.  They will not be the cheapest, i.e Vistaprint, but I can vouch for the quality of their work and, ahem, I can vouch for the quality of the output ;)  They will be reasonable especially considering the finished product.

If there is interest I'm happy to help with this as this is in my sphere of professional expertise - I just would beg off of total ownership of this - I have way too much on plate right now. I just can't see myself addressing and mailing off 100 + individual calendars right now.   

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
I understand!  I think the way to do this is to pick a site where individual members can order direct at their option. Once the info is uploaded, and calendar set up, the rest is up to each of us.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
Or I can get them printed, take mine out the pile, and ship them to a volunteer that has a wee bit of spare time on their hands ;)  I think it would be fair to add a buck or two in each for handling charges just to sweeten the offer.

I'm not sure if the big mail order type places would hold a job and print/ship on demand as their business model is based on set runs.  On the largest equipment that you run these things on it takes as much time to load up stock and set the job on the rip as is does to print a half dozen calendars.

If someone wants to explore the Vista Print route I'll give my folks a call and get an estimate from them as well.

Anyone have a idea on quantity?  25?  50?  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:46:03 PM by Lightyear »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »
I know I'd take a couple and give a couple as gifts.
We should do this. As many awesome basses LBOers have we could make terrific calenders. My contribution would be my JJ Longhorn.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
I think my contribution would be my '63 P in Ford Gold Metallic.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 05:22:28 PM »
In the smartphone age, do people really still buy calendars? I haven't hung one up for years until today, and that's only because my Dakota was selected for one of the months on the annual Norwegian Elkhound Rescue calendar.

Don't let me stop anyone, though.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »
We bung up a T1/T2 calendar (yes, I know, Dave :rolleyes:) in the kitchen but often forget to change it over... hmm... still running on 2013... gotta fix that... ;D

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »
the last calendar we had said april all year round. mainly because of the dog pic. :-[
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for considering this - I personally am swamped for the next few months, that's why I was thinking 2015. It seems like it could be possible though, huh? I guess one question would be who would be the judge(s) for which pics would appear...