Author Topic: Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" tour CD/DVD  (Read 6767 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" tour CD/DVD
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
This isn't new news but haven't seen it mentioned here - a CD/DVD of an early stop of the Perfect Strangers tour has been released!

http://www.deeppurple.com/index.cfm/pk/view/cd/NAA/cdid/442336/pid/400088

It's pretty good - the sound is good (though bass is slightly lacking) and it's nice to have both the CD & DVD - listened in my car first, then watched the DVD to see what was going on. I saw them on this tour in 1985, in Tokyo, at Budokan no less! By then they had lasers, my fondest memory being Beethoven conducting during "Difficult to Cure" and crossing his arms and tapping his foot impatiently during Ritchie's guitar solo. I also remember what seemed like a wall of rotating speaker cabinets, at least one of which you can see in the DVD - not standard Leslies, these were like a rotating plate. I seem to remember them all being in sync too.

Definitely worth looking into if you liked this era of Purple! (there's a youtube video in the link)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" tour CD/DVD
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »
This isn't new news but haven't seen it mentioned here - a CD/DVD of an early stop of the Perfect Strangers tour has been released!

http://www.deeppurple.com/index.cfm/pk/view/cd/NAA/cdid/442336/pid/400088

It's pretty good - the sound is good (though bass is slightly lacking) and it's nice to have both the CD & DVD - listened in my car first, then watched the DVD to see what was going on. I saw them on this tour in 1985, in Tokyo, at Budokan no less! By then they had lasers, my fondest memory being Beethoven conducting during "Difficult to Cure" and crossing his arms and tapping his foot impatiently during Ritchie's guitar solo. I also remember what seemed like a wall of rotating speaker cabinets, at least one of which you can see in the DVD - not standard Leslies, these were like a rotating plate. I seem to remember them all being in sync too.

Definitely worth looking into if you liked this era of Purple! (there's a youtube video in the link)

Cool!  This may have been the same tour I saw them on.  I was on the sound board at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago when I saw them.  It was a great show, and I remember the Beethoven bit, too.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
I saw them in Paris (Mountain supporting) '84 iirc and later at Wembley...

This one was recorded in Oz if I remember the reviews...

Anyone heard the utter panning the new Rush live set has had...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:52:23 AM »
Great stuff...and I love that Roger Glover is playing a Peavey Foundation - a bass you can pickup at any Pawn Shop for $85 - with a case.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »
He's never been elitist about his basses (he's played Fender Mustangs and even Hondos) and only moved to Vigier boutique basses when their maker surprised Roger in a French restaurant by presenting one of his basses, then putting it on the floor and jumping up and down on the neck und picking it back up to show Roger that it was still in tune.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
I saw that show at the UIC. Giuffria opened. I was blown away by Gillan and Paice. They nailed it, and Lord was in fine form. Roger - I miss the Ric! Ritchie was very low key, and that was disappointing. I also didn't like the backdrop or whatever. Just kind of grey/monolithic looking. No amp stacks! I was really glad to have seen that lineup though.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »
Everybody makes jokes about Giuffria, but I liked them. Kind of Journey with balls.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
Everybody makes jokes about Giuffria, but I liked them. Kind of Journey with balls.

I'm sure the guys in Journey have seen plenty of balls.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
I like Journey too, but by 1985 their albums began to sound mawkish and all-too-nice. Perry and his penchant for blue-eyed soul began to have too much control of the band. They're still my favorite of the "giant" AOR bands of the time though.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
Saw them on the PS tour also - great show.
Girlschool was the opener.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »
One of the things I noticed is that at one point they play a hint of "Son of Alerik" - a nice instrumental from the B-side of "Perfect Strangers" (I believe - I had the 12" single from when it came out) which is available as a bonus track on the CD (re-?)release of the album. There's one point where it looks like Paicey & Jon Lord want to keep playing but Ritchie looks over like, "let's wrap this up shall we?" - he does smile at a few points during the concert, even at Ian Gillan!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
Spirits were high on that tour (which was the second highest-grossing tour after Springsteen's in the same year) and even Blackmore and Gillan got along (and said nice things about each other in interviews). Alas!, 't'was not to last!

Knocking at your Back Door was friggin' majestic:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
I'm sure the guys in Journey have seen plenty of balls.

At least ten...?

At Wembley, Gillan started singing Jesus Christ Superstar, and then Blackmore joined in, and the joke ran on far too long... Gillan's gold disc for it used to hang on the wall at Kingsway Recorders in WC2...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
Knocking at your Back Door was friggin' majestic:

You'd think this song would get more mentions around here...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 07:51:53 AM »
At least ten...?

At Wembley, Gillan started singing Jesus Christ Superstar, and then Blackmore joined in, and the joke ran on far too long... Gillan's gold disc for it used to hang on the wall at Kingsway Recorders in WC2...

They did that over here, too. Somehow it became a regular part of the shows, I guess - was that during "Strange Kind Of Woman"?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter