Author Topic: intermodulated melody maker mudbucker  (Read 2116 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
intermodulated melody maker mudbucker
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
Sorry for the silly subject line - but one of the main effects on here is the Death By Audio Harmonic Transformer, which they describe as "intermodulating fuzz". I recorded the basic tracks for this tune in 2005, worked on it in 2006, then shelved it away. I finally dug it back up, even though it still needs a lot of work. It was originally a drum & bass jam, over which I overdubbed some 6-string bass that had a lot of mistakes, so I rerecorded the bass part with my Melody Maker bass with the signal split between regular distortion (Fulltone Bass Drive? I don't remember now!) and the aforementioned Harmonic Transformer, which is the grungier fuzz, probably over more towards the left speaker. There are some stacked harmonies in the middle which is my Ric 4001 through the Fulltone, and some filtering and some crazy electronic stuff, but I think I'll just post the link and let you listen:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:40:12 PM by hieronymous »

n!k

• View Profile
Re: intermodulated melody maker mudbucker
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
Real cool track. I really like the Harmonic Transformer but $200 for a pretty specialized kind of fuzz seems crazy to me.
Half-speed Hawkwind

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »
Man you do distortion well!  That's about as fuzzed out as it gets, yet everything still sounds clear and distinct.  Love the way it all comes washing in at the intro.

What did you use to create that that high-pitched warbling oscillation at around 3:26?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »
Nice 70ies vibe this has. Bit Edgar Winter's Frankenstein.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:05:13 AM »
sounds good, nice playing!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
It's like an envelope filter or so?

Nice sound! I like it!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
The crazy synth stuff at the end is the 4ms Triwave Picogenerator. You can also hear it at the end of the stacked harmony guitar section, just alternating between two notes. I bought it hoping to use it as a drone generator, but have found the sound to be a little boring for that. Here's a picture of mine - had it custom painted with kanji reading "ongaku," Japanese for "music."

One of the things I like about using mudbuckers with distortion is that they seem to produce a nice clean (paradoxical, ain't it!) fundamental that doesn't get touched by the distortion.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »
4ms Triwave Picogenerator.

Where do you find this stuff?  ;D  That's cool.

This is my latest want/desire from the bizarro world of effects:

Encore Frequency Shifter

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
This is my latest want/desire from the bizarro world of effects:

Encore Frequency Shifter

That makes me think of the Buchla "infinite phase shifter" with its "barber pole" phasing. I remember taking a class on 20th century music in college and one of the pieces we listened to was a sound that seemed to always go up without ever stopping...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
That makes me think of the Buchla "infinite phase shifter"

That looks neat!  Buchla .  I hadn't noticed his new offerings.  Love some of the module names - 266e "Source of Uncertainty". :D

There's one guy up on Youtube with an original Moog/Bode Frequency Shifter.  of an otherwise dry signal source.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »
This should probably go in "The Last Synth Outpost"!  :P

I've been messing with my Little Phatty for the first time in a long time - it has a built in tuning sequence, plus I uploaded a Taurus I patch that someone from Moog put up on the Moog Music Forum. Actually, I installed the new OS update a while ago - my first experiment plugging my synth into my computer! Crazy what you can do these days...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »
This should probably go in "The Last Synth Outpost"!  :P

Yeah sorry- I can never resist yakking about synth stuff!  :P  At least Moog and Gibson have some things in common - both having suffered the wrath of Norlin.  Glad Norlin didn't run Gibson out of business too!   :)

I used to send for catalogs from a lot of the bass, guitar, and synth manufacturers when I was a kid.  I still have all the stuff I received in a box somewhere.  One of the things I remember getting was a flyer from Norlin when Moog was going out of bussiness in around '83.  It has a list of all the "closeout deals" - Rouges for $99, Liberations, Sources, Memorymoogs ($699, I think), etc...  I would have been ten at the time, so unfortunately, my synth budget did not accomodate taking advantage of this unfortunate situation.  :(  I got a couple t-shirts, though!  lol

I'll have to find that and scan it in someday.