Author Topic: 250K 0r 500k ????  (Read 3817 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: 250K 0r 500k ????
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:54 AM »
I have a set in my Orville '76 clone, in Greatdealz67 NOS covers. They're fabulous IMHO. Pickups ( the sound that is ) are highly subjective, but these have the right amount of " growl " to my ears, although I find them much more sensitive to height adjustment ( distance from the pickup to the strings ) than the stock Orvs. I believe DrBassman has a set also. Seymour winds them himself ( mine are signed ) and it took quite a while to get them. If I had any complaint about them it would be that they were wired with a " modern " four conductor wire and not the vintage braided wire ( to be fair to SD I didn't specify vintage wire ) but it seems a little odd to me to do a vintage pup and not use vintage style wire ( although you would certainly have more wiring options with the four conductor wire )

S.

I have 3 of them.  One is in my 60's NR restoration project and it is the best sounding bass I own IMHO.  The pup is very strong, great lows and well articulated highs.  It really works with the solid mahogany body.  These aren't cheap but they are one of a kind pickups you just can't get anywhere else.  The covers are from Overdriven66.  Tony has these made by a machinist and they ain't cheap either!  You'll pay $160 or so just for a cover before you send it off to SD.  Then they charge about $150 to create and install the custom pup into the cover.

Expensive?  Yes.  And worth it for these particular applications.

The next set will go into this project and I can't wait to hear them!!!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »
Thanks DB. I am a total sucker for Tobacco burst, that T-bird looks beautiful.
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »
Thanks DB. I am a total sucker for Tobacco burst, that T-bird looks beautiful.

That cream bird looks great.

There is something about those Tobacco Burst that look so right on reverse birds. I'm not a big fan of them on non reverses though.

Rikkimax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I have 3 of them.  One is in my 60's NR restoration project and it is the best sounding bass I own IMHO.  The pup is very strong, great lows and well articulated highs.  It really works with the solid mahogany body.  These aren't cheap but they are one of a kind pickups you just can't get anywhere else.  The covers are from Overdriven66.  Tony has these made by a machinist and they ain't cheap either!  You'll pay $160 or so just for a cover before you send it off to SD.  Then they charge about $150 to create and install the custom pup into the cover.

Expensive?  Yes.  And worth it for these particular applications.

The next set will go into this project and I can't wait to hear them!!!

Hi,  I just had a set of these pickups made for my Rikkimax Fenderbird Project.  Prices are up (so what else is new...).  The covers were $185 a piece (shipping included) from Overdriven 66, and the Seymour Duncan Custom Ship windings were $195 each (shipping included).  This works out to be $380 per pickup.  Definitely not cheap, but DEFINITELY WORTH IT!!  They are works of art!  Overdriven66 is great to work with, too!
I got blistahs on ma fingahs !!!