Author Topic: Johnny Winter-owned Thunderbird at CME  (Read 869 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Johnny Winter-owned Thunderbird at CME
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2023, 11:43:13 AM »
He also appealed to their more maternal instincts I think. It’s sorta like revealing on a first date: "You know, I’m different from the other guys, I’m really a leftie, but I compensate a lot." That really disarms them and heightens curiosity.

(inquisitively) How do you handle it?  ;D

I shouldn't have been drinking my coffee when I read that.  ;D

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2023, 07:13:13 AM »
Why? Because he was a very raw, wild and busy blues player with note explosions on the fretboard? I probably couldn't listen all day to him, but in reasonable dosages he was a compelling performer.

More the gaunt, sweaty androgyny, I think. I find his guitar tone a bit thin and grating, but his musicianship isn't up for debate! I'm wary of any guitarist from that era who is that keen to get their top off.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2023, 08:41:35 AM »
I actually liked his non-treble-cut, percussive and 'wiry' sound - kinda like Rory Gallagher. There were enough other guys that sounded all creamy and sustainy.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2023, 12:09:50 PM »
More the gaunt, sweaty androgyny, I think. I find his guitar tone a bit thin and grating, but his musicianship isn't up for debate! I'm wary of any guitarist from that era who is that keen to get their top off.  :mrgreen:

Androgyny? I don't think so! He was always frail, but not androgynous. I doubt his longtime girlfriend (later wife) thought so either, she was with him for over 40 years.

Speaking of her, I wonder if this is still ongoing: Battle for late Johnny Winter’s music to play out in court

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2023, 03:06:54 PM »
I actually liked his non-treble-cut, percussive and 'wiry' sound - kinda like Rory Gallagher. There were enough other guys that sounded all creamy and sustainy.

Tony McPhee of the Groundhogs had that sound. Sizzly, wire snapping against frets through to blistering fuzz.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »
Androgyny? I don't think so! He was always frail, but not androgynous. I doubt his longtime girlfriend (later wife) thought so either, she was with him for over 40 years.

Speaking of her, I wonder if this is still ongoing: Battle for late Johnny Winter’s music to play out in court

I think I know what our Scotsman was aiming at. "Androgynous" ain‘t perhaps the right word, but the mix of heroin-chic gaunt features, albinism, long wispy hair and glam'ish outfits (seemingly inspired by his little brother) in the 70ies sometimes gave Johnny that otherworldly, alien'esque appearance, sort of like Jeremy Irons as the Morlock Chief in that otherwise pretty horrible and best forgotten 'The Time Machine' remake.

As regards the ongoing litigation: Is that all he left in assets? There won't be much left then after litigation costs have been subtracted. Johnny's diminishing commercial returns once the 70ies were over (and he was no longer an arena act) coupled with his decade-long substance abuse, no proper record company (once CBS/Epic dropped him) and a lousy to criminal management that kept him drugged for many years made themselves painfully felt then.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 10:26:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2023, 11:25:45 PM »

As regards the ongoing litigation: Is that all he left in assets? There won't be much left then after litigation costs have been subtracted. Johnny's diminishing commercial returns once the 70ies were over (and he was no longer an arena act) coupled with his decade-long substance abuse, no proper record company (once CBS/Epic dropped him) and a lousy to criminal management that kept him drugged for many years made themselves painfully felt then.

Hard to tell. It's not clear from the articles I've read. and it may be years before it's sorted out. Whatever is left, it ought to be more.