Author Topic: A Thunderbird dilemma  (Read 1789 times)

ajkula66

• View Profile
A Thunderbird dilemma
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:16:01 PM »
A non-Thunderbird player stopping by to ask for advice...

First and foremost, I apologize for asking a question that was likely asked before but search on the subject matter got me pretty much nowhere.

Long story short, after trying 30 or so basses within a matter of a couple of days, my bass-playing-son fell in love, head-over-heels with an Epi Vintage Pro.

I'm not cheap but tend to be frugal and am not necessarily keen on buying new. The problem is that GC used has zero to offer, and what I see on Reverb is priced way too close to new for my liking.

Here's my dilemma: by the time I add a case to VP, I'm looking at close to $900 with taxes. I know that I can pick a used Gibson Bird for 100-150 more.

What am I missing ? Are VPs *that* good when compared to more recent Gibbys ?

The only Birds I have some experience with are Bicentennials, but they are out of the equation, so please educate me...

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:10:41 PM by ajkula66 »
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: A Thunderbird dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 12:07:17 PM »
   I've been playing birds for over 40 years, I have had just about everything put out by Gibson and have a collection of vintage Thunderbirds and assorted Gibsons to compare the VP to.  The VP is a bargain in the any man's book. Easily equal in quality to Gibsons contemporary offerings,  personally I think they spank Gibson.  Along with my collection of vintage and contemporary birds I have three Vintage Pros, I think that much of them.  Best Thunderbird built since the 60's imho........even better in some ways.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »
Thanks for replying.

Coming from you, that's a pretty darn strong endorsement.

I guess that I'll just have to let go of my Orville, and get him the VP.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:39:49 PM »
   Orville are very well thought of, is there something he doesn't like about it? Sweetwater usually has good terms I bought two from them 24 months interest free.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 12:46:49 PM »
Well, the Orville being discussed here is an EB-3, not a Bird. It's a fine instrument, but neither of us is really in love with it.  So it sits in the case way more than it gets played, which is not a good thing.

I'd venture a guess that I'd about break even by selling it and buying a used VP, give or take a few bucks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 12:50:56 PM »
    While the build quality is excellent on the VP the two things that set them apart from "modern"  birds are the two piece bridge and the 760 pickups.  They bridge is a improved version of the 60's and gives a good string break angle over the saddle, something the modern three point lacks. The 760 Pickups are the real key. Epiphone did a fantastic job of reverse engineering 60's Thunderbird pickups and these are what make the bass really sing. I hope that helps in your dilemma.
           Scott

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »
The 760 Pickups are the real key. Epiphone did a fantastic job of reverse engineering 60's Thunderbird pickups and these are what make the bass really sing. I hope that helps in your dilemma.
           Scott

I figured as much regarding the pickups but it's good to hear it from someone with indefinitely more Bird experience than myself.

It does help.

Thank you.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 03:12:09 AM »
Hey, Scott! Do you have any idea if the 760's are for sale somewhere?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 06:51:50 AM »
As of now they are not available.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:44:53 AM by godofthunder »

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 06:53:04 AM »
As of they are not available.
They're pretty similar to Chinabuckers, no?

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 09:22:04 AM »
there was some murmuring round these parts that the chinabuckers might have been tests for Epis new reversed engineered bird pups ie 760s but I don't think anyone has compared yet

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 09:45:26 AM »
  I don't know that there is any truth to that

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
Anyone got side-by-side pics of 760's and Chinabuckers (or EY or HK 'buckers)?  I have Chinabuckers on hand but unfortunately no 760's (excluding original '60s 760's).

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 10:09:18 AM »
I meant more that they're supposed to sound similar.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
They're pretty similar to Chinabuckers, no?

I have both, I don't think they're the same pick up at all Ken. China Bucker aren't bad by any means, but they 're a little thin sounding and not as hot as the 760's in the VP. Neither are as good as a Lull Thunderbird pickup, much more going on there.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...