Author Topic: Modified Low Impedance Pickups??  (Read 15019 times)

BlendedCat

• View Profile
Re: Modified Low Impedance Pickups??
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:43 AM »
There are so many people interested in the low impedance pickups it would be good to post some additional information about them.  How would I go about getting xrays of the ones I have?  I have been asked to do it but I don't have a clue about how or where to make that happen.  Quite sure my health insurance wouldn't cover the xrays to be certain none of these pickups had a broken leg.  Can anyone offer a good suggestion?

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2014, 05:03:45 AM »
There are so many people interested in the low impedance pickups it would be good to post some additional information about them.  How would I go about getting xrays of the ones I have?  I have been asked to do it but I don't have a clue about how or where to make that happen.  Quite sure my health insurance wouldn't cover the xrays to be certain none of these pickups had a broken leg.  Can anyone offer a good suggestion?

I guess flirting with a nice security guard at the airport is the obvious here.

But not for me though, I´m scared of flying - as well as my ´weak spot´for women in uniform probably would get
me arrested.

EDIT: I did open a Lo Z les paul pup, and think I posted a pic somewhere. Or are they still in the camera... I´ll check.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »
There are so many people interested in the low impedance pickups it would be good to post some additional information about them.  How would I go about getting xrays of the ones I have?  I have been asked to do it but I don't have a clue about how or where to make that happen.  Quite sure my health insurance wouldn't cover the xrays to be certain none of these pickups had a broken leg.  Can anyone offer a good suggestion?

Make friends with a medical researcher.

I work in a hospital (IT), but don't know anybody from either research or radiology well enough.

I am also not sure if there is much mystery left to the internals of these things: blade polepeice stacked humbucker with 3 taps in the coil. ... but I'd still be interested to see the guts for real in case of surprises/funny things - as long as a functional one doesn't have to be sacrificed in the bargain.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
Les' pups relisted again.  Not sure why relisted this time as they sold (for near what the seller asked as a BIN the first time) when he started the bid at $200-something the second time, but now back with a 3k BIN.  

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LES-PAUL-PROTOTYPE-HAND-MADE-PICKUPS-GIBSON-VINTAGE-PAF-BASS-GUITAR-PICKUP-/350989506491?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:CA:1123

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
I used the X-ray machine at a FedEx depot and posted it in my RD rebuild (stalled) some time back - to get anything decent you'd need a medical-quality machine...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 08:21:17 AM »
My son & I took a run out to Dave's Guitar Shop in Lacrosse Wisconsin yesterday, I checked out the New Les Paul Recording II. I really didn't want to end up going home with it so I played it safe & didn't try it out.............

While there, I notice a low impedance pickup in a display case by their checkout counter..........

Sounds like somebody gave Dave one of Lester's pickups purchased at the auction............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »
Or maybe Dave himself was the high bidder.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 09:20:37 AM »
Or maybe Dave himself was the high bidder.

I didn't talk to Dave about it, the guy at the counter said it was given to him by a friend...........

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
Thanks a ton for the information Grog, you couldn’t be timelier.  There was a Les Paul Signature pickup listed on Ebay that was DOA and would have to be rewound.   I bid to win figuring I would do some reverse engineering or give it to someone here on the site to analyze it.  Maybe it would be possible to duplicate?  When it arrived it didn’t look damaged so put on my magnifier headset and gently scraped away some the build-up on the bare wires going to the outside posts until they were shiny and clean.  Whoa, there was a continuity response and a subsequent DC resistance reading of 23 Ohms.

Based upon the readings you posted I think I came into possession of a working LP sig pickup for $122.00.  Pretty cool!

I just made an offer & won a Les Paul Recording pickup, listed as dead, for $60.00. With a little luck, they just didn't know how to check it...... These pickups are pretty much bullet proof, unless it was defective from day one............ We'll see when it gets here.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2014, 03:08:21 AM »
I just made an offer & won a Les Paul Recording pickup, listed as dead, for $60.00. With a little luck, they just didn't know how to check it...... These pickups are pretty much bullet proof, unless it was defective from day one............ We'll see when it gets here.

When they list them as shorted, buy them :)

But there are some open ones out there too…..

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 02:51:41 PM »
The pickup came today, it measured at 10.7 ohms. I tested it with my transformer chord, stuck it close to a Les Paul, gave it a strum............It works fine! It has some old adhesive on it that Goo Gone is having trouble getting off......... I'll just keep soaking. A bargain for $60.00 these days!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
It has some old adhesive on it that Goo Gone is having trouble getting off.

If you can find it, Goo Gone gel is MUCH better than the liquid.

BlendedCat

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 01:46:08 AM »
The pickup came today, it measured at 10.7 ohms. I tested it with my transformer chord, stuck it close to a Les Paul, gave it a strum............It works fine! It has some old adhesive on it that Goo Gone is having trouble getting off......... I'll just keep soaking. A bargain for $60.00 these days!
Congratulations Grog.  That was one helluva bargain!  I am not sure where I am going to ultimately get there pick ups x rayed but there have been several people who felt it would be useful so one way or another........

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 06:36:17 AM »
Wasn't there some dude selling NOS LoZ pup bobbins on ebay a little while back?  Not sure if he even said if they were bass or guitar ones, but they were red plastic and had a slot for the rail polepeice IIRC.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 09:02:53 AM »
That was Greatdealz. But those were guitar size bobbins.