Author Topic: '78 Gibson Grabber bridge problems  (Read 4743 times)

Ampig

• View Profile
'78 Gibson Grabber bridge problems
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
Since I'm at a loss at the moment, I'm asking all you Gibson guru's for some help.
I'm looking for some replacement parts for my '78 Grabber G1 bridge. Mainly all the saddle screws or complete new saddles.  I've been looking for a complete new bridge for a while, but a drop in replacement doesn't seem to exist.

The sizes of the screws and saddles don't seem to be standard sizes, which makes it even more difficult to find some replacements.

I'm not a big fan of drilling new holes in the bass (because I'm not sure of my own "skills"), so another bridge is not really an option.

Thanks!

Rob

• View Profile
Re: '78 Gibson Grabber bridge problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »
Any idea what size they actually are?   There is a great surplus store here in Orlando with all sorts of goodies (think NASA surplus).  I found bridge screws for Hagstrom's here etc.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
4-48 thread.  Obsolete.  Not a lot of them around, much less the ones Gibson used.

Try these:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0174020;jsessionid=1FWVTLhLcQnQjZLRdTxJ67CzYnlj9Gl5kncyytns2Pf29nSs2q6z!379136172!403118208?isPunchout=false

You're going to have to cut them to length and figure out how to slot them- or just reduce the size of the head, it will save some shredding of your fingers.

Thread the screw into the saddle, cut off the excess and back the screw out.  That will clean up the threads

Ampig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »
Thanks! Do you have any Idea what size of saddle screws were used?  I'm not really familiar with the imperial measurement system, but it seems I'll have to order outside of Europe.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 05:17:43 AM »
Thanks! Do you have any Idea what size of saddle screws were used?  I'm not really familiar with the imperial measurement system, but it seems I'll have to order outside of Europe.

4-48, that is #4 screw with 48 threads to the inch. I think the length is around .5 inches, 12mm LENGTH IS .75 inch. I can't get to my Grabber at the moment.

Might be cheaper to have the holes in the saddles drilled and tapped to accept metric thread allen screws.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:06:32 AM by dadagoboi »

VeloDog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:46:49 AM »
4-48 screws may be obsolete in the guitar world but they are still widely used in industrial applications.  I occasionally use them myself.

They're available; you'll just have to order them on-line and you may have to order a quantity a bit greater than what you actually need.

What length screw (threaded length) do you need and what type head do you want on it?  I'll see if I can set you up with a link.

-Bob

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »
4-48 screws may be obsolete in the guitar world but they are still widely used in industrial applications.  I occasionally use them myself.

They're available; you'll just have to order them on-line and you may have to order a quantity a bit greater than what you actually need.

What length screw (threaded length) do you need and what type head do you want on it?  I'll see if I can set you up with a link.

-Bob

.75 inch long threaded rod with a slot for a screwdriver blade cut into the top.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:05:39 AM »
Yeah, I'd bei interested in those too! Do they exist with allen heads too? That might be preferable in stability to the slotted alternative. IMHO the "metal" that Gibson used on these screws in the early days was horrible in quality. Come the 80ies and the last batches of Grabbers and G-3s, the quality of those screws improved.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
Yeah, I'd bei interested in those too! Do they exist with allen heads too? That might be preferable in stability to the slotted alternative. IMHO the "metal" that Gibson used on these screws in the early days was horrible in quality. Come the 80ies and the last batches of Grabbers and G-3s, the quality of those screws improved.

First '75 Grabber I bought the saddle screws were mostly rusted/broken so I sent the bass back.  On my current one, which came with bridge cover in place,  they're all unbroken and no rust, they work fine.  I always loosen strings before adjusting to relieve pressure on them.

If I WAS replacing them I'd go with these:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0174020;jsessionid=1FWVTLhLcQnQjZLRdTxJ67CzYnlj9Gl5kncyytns2Pf29nSs2q6z!379136172!403118208?isPunchout=false
Stainless steel, slotted pan heads small enough not to be a problem, and just slightly longer (+6mm) than originals.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »
Is that more than a dollar for one of these  :o or do they come in a pack?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »
Is that more than a dollar for one of these  :o or do they come in a pack?

Yes, more than a dollar each.  About $11 for eight plus shipping. Maybe Velodog can find an alternative.

The closest retail store is in Longwood, Florida.  It's 125 miles from me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
One single screw for more than a dollar?!!!!  :o You can get two of them for that type of money right across from us in the red light district. What are they made of, unobtainium?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »
I don't mean to make fun but it seems funny to hear guys complaining about spending $11 to make their bass fully functional considering the hundreds to thousands we spent buying them.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »
Buy American and accept that spares will be "exotic" - the logic would be a stainless steel UNF machine screw but the only (UK) ones I've found have been pan-head and they are not fully threaded ...
There are bound to be European suppliers, but ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
I don't mean to make fun but it seems funny to hear guys complaining about spending $11 to make their bass fully functional considering the hundreds to thousands we spent buying them.

George, fun eeze a always ok-a here! Of course you're right, but that a single screw could cost that much or that it is even sold as a single screw and not in a batch of a dozen or so for, say, $ 3,99 is totally alien to these European tool shop/hardware store eyes!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I honestly thought I was misunderstanding something.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:47:41 PM by uwe »