Author Topic: needs some loving  (Read 6551 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: needs some loving
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
"The Bicentennials are sidewinders and have weaker output.  Sound more Fender single coil to me compared to the 60s."

Amen. Finally someone says it.

TB Plus roolz!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »
"The Bicentennials are sidewinders and have weaker output.  Sound more Fender single coil to me compared to the 60s."

TB Plus roolz!!!

I was with you there until that last line...actually I sent SlinkP's Bicentennial pup directly to Steve Soar for analysis and his opinion (after basically, 'what the hell is this') was the same.  He's a guitard so he has no dog in the hunt.  That's why I like to have him build bass stuff.  The bicentennial series electronics circuit also acts to enhance that single coil feel.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »

TB Plus roolz!!!

That's it!
Heretic! I'm flying over there to discipline you  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
"The bicentennial series electronics circuit also acts to enhance that single coil feel."

Parallel or in series ... whatever. At least on mine the bass sounds loudest and fullest with both pups on in stark contrast to all sixties and modern day Birds where taking away the treble pup heightens phatness of sound.   

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »

I never seem to recall this exactly right......'76s are stock wired parallel? Or series?
Between my three I do notice a fair bit of difference in tone, with the green one being the most nasal, least bassy, highest output, the purple being a happy medium with a more balanced tone overall. The black '77 is a bit bassy and slightly less output.......
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
Series.  Legendary Gibson QC probably accounts for the wide differences in the three.  They never got around to putting counters on their winding machines and the variation in pup output is more noticeable in a series setup.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:14:11 PM by dadagoboi »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »

That's pretty much what I'd thought about the pickups, the end result is 3 different sounding basses - not wildly different but different in a pleasant way. Thanks  :)