Author Topic: needs some loving  (Read 6549 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: needs some loving
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
What are SG/EB0s made of?

By the time the first SG-shaped EB-0s came out, Cuban mahogany was on the way out due to embargo. So the original issues were probably all Honduras mahogany.

I don't know about the current issues. Now Gibson just says mahogany. That could be Honduras/big leaf but not necessarily from Central or South America -- some is apparently now plantation grown in the Pacific or far east, and the same species in a far different location doesn't produce the same wood. Or it could be African mahogany, which is from the same family but not a true mahogany.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
By the time the first SG-shaped EB-0s came out, Cuban mahogany was on the way out due to embargo. So the original issues were probably all Honduras mahogany.

I don't know about the current issues. Now Gibson just says mahogany. That could be Honduras/big leaf but not necessarily from Central or South America -- some is apparently now plantation grown in the Pacific or far east, and the same species in a far different location doesn't produce the same wood. Or it could be African mahogany, which is from the same family but not a true mahogany.

Judging by the quality of the tuners and knobs they're currently using I'd guess it was the cheapest wood they could legally call mahogany.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »
Was it anyone of us, in this here crowd, that got the crashed T-bird for $2 126?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 02:50:25 PM »

S'posed to be Mahogany.  Some of the lower end bodies may be laminate with Mahogany top.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »

Back when SGs were EBs this is what they were made of...soon to be covered in LPB.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Was it anyone of us, in this here crowd, that got the crashed T-bird for $2 126?

That kind $$$ for a carcass boggles my mind............ :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »

That kind $$$ for a carcass boggles my mind............ :o

I agree, Mark...but have you ever played an old one???? It's like having a P bass, a Jazz bass, a Ric 4001 an EB-1 all in one!!!! Even Tom Petersson said there is absolutely NO difference between a broken and unbroken..Just cheaper to get a busted one and fix it....

And they sound so good...you don't even need a Hiwatt!!! (but someday...I will get another one....)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
S'posed to be Mahogany.  Some of the lower end bodies may be laminate with Mahogany top.

Not on a Gibson EB-0/EB-3. Some Epis may have a mahogany top over laminate, but AFAIK no Epis have had genuine mahogany bodies anyway since production was moved overseas about 1970.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 12:11:31 AM »
One of my two Embassies were broken at some point, right at the saddle. Someone fixed it, don't know when. The repaired one looks nice, feels good, and there's almost no difference between the necks of these basses (I've learnt that the non-fixed one's neck been sanded down, and therefore is a bit slimmer).
As I've played rev Birds from the 60's, and owned a 76 Bird, I know I would never lay any kind of money on a Bird from the 70's. With the old Bird it's another story. I think the price of the Ebay crashed one was really good. If I'd had the money, there's no question were they would go.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
 Everything Baz says is true, I'm sitting here right now with a 64 II hanging around my neck w/ a rather Fugly HS repair & it's a GREAT Bass! Very light, pretty much stays in tune & has a nice thin neck & very resonate body much more so then my ’77, the other ’64 I have the neck is just a tad wider and was turned into a IV for some reason I like the single pickup more I even caught myself turning down the bridge pup, that one that just sold was very temping even at 2K, I one time bid on a ’64 II that belonged to Steven Stills & while clean it’s hardware was removed & it needed a HS repair I stopped bidding at $1000 I think it went for $2000, I would have bid more but I contacted 3 guys about getting it fixed & it closed before I heard back from them I think Mike Dolan said it would have been a $125 HS repair,

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 04:26:46 AM »
The main  cause of difference in sound between 60's and Bicentennials is THE PICKUPS.  Completely different designs.  The Bicentennials are sidewinders and have weaker output.  Sound more Fender single coil to me compared to the 60s.  'Live At Leeds' single coil maybe.

The neck on my '65IV is chunkier than my '64II.  Maybe Gibson realized by then they had a problem with breakage.  The '65 is .6 lb lighter than my '77.

$3K total outlay on that bass will be a fine investment for whoever bought it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 05:35:37 AM »
 That is a bargain even in it's condition. I thought about bidding but they really are not my thing, NRs are.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 06:02:09 AM »
If I had a job...I may have bid on it....But damn....I already have 2 of those and one NR....next would be a IV or an embassy....No wait...I think I want to get an EB-1 reissue and/or a 50-ebo to make a Gene simmons bass!!!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 06:03:15 AM »
Actually...I am VERY satisfied with what I have...I would probably make a Fenderbird or buy a cheap reissue USA Fender for crappy gigs...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 07:31:10 AM »
Not on a Gibson EB-0/EB-3. Some Epis may have a mahogany top over laminate, but AFAIK no Epis have had genuine mahogany bodies anyway since production was moved overseas about 1970.

Dave has this unseemly habit of being right.  Zounds! 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."