Author Topic: needs some loving  (Read 6550 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
needs some loving
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
i was on this site on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1964-GIBSON-THUNDERBIRD-II-BASS-PROJECT-PARTS-REPAIR-90-COMPLETE-w-OHSC-/251077482687?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a756258bf&BackToListReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FMyEbayBeta and when i went back to my page, the seller had posted another three hundred on this. it was listed for 699.95 originally. it was also riginally posted as a 74 and no mention of it being a T-Bird 2.
the head is a mess!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:20:47 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Re: needs some loving
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:52:59 AM »
Such a beautiful piece! Though I'm not gonna bid on it, I can't help but wonder what colour it will end up in. Guess I would choose Inverness Green or Cardinal Red, if the choise was up to me... But the financial situation says "No deal, son"!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:34:13 AM »
Someone must have pointed out that it's a 64 and he realized that it was worth more.

"The neck is straight" with no strings. Could be okay, I wouldn't count on it.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:18 AM »
No doubt he'll get some decent money, as it really is a nice project.  The break sucks, but who hasn't seen that on a Tbird before?  What scares me is the overall munge-iness of this one.  That corrosion on the screws, frets, and the way the grain is raised makes this one reek - maybe literally - of musty wetness.  Like a Katrina Surfboard.  You don't get any good shot of the pup lid, but it looks corroded too.  The cover and tailpiece look shiny.  Replacement or buffed out maybe.  I am hoping it is illusion, but this one could be more than meets the eye and nose.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »
No doubt he'll get some decent money, as it really is a nice project.  The break sucks, but who hasn't seen that on a Tbird before?  What scares me is the overall munge-iness of this one.  That corrosion on the screws, frets, and the way the grain is raised makes this one reek - maybe literally - of musty wetness.  Like a Katrina Surfboard.  You don't get any good shot of the pup lid, but it looks corroded too.  The cover and tailpiece look shiny.  Replacement or buffed out maybe.  I am hoping it is illusion, but this one could be more than meets the eye and nose.

Genuine (Honduras) Mahogany is impervious to swelling or grain raising due to water, unlike a lot of "African" mahogany or other wood species.  Those pictures look like a chemically stripped finish that hasn't been sanded yet , the edge routes on the body are nice and sharp.  Nickel corrodes fairly quickly but also buffs back well.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »
Carlo, you are not the first wood master I have heard this from. Rick Penta told me the same thing about Honduran Maho and said the reason it is so poplur among template/pattern makers is because of what he called "torsional stability" or the none twisting, swelling of the Honduran Maho due to weather changes.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
Carlo, you are not the first wood master I have heard this from. Rick Penta told me the same thing about Honduran Maho and said the reason it is so poplur among template/pattern makers is because of what he called "torsional stability" or the none twisting, swelling of the Honduran Maho due to weather changes.

Anyone who's ever worked with the real stuff knows it's special.  Price keeps going up as the supply diminishes.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
that look's like a NR Case to me

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »
Early NRs may have used that case, but most of them have the neck brace closer to the other end of the neck.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:12:46 PM »
I have 237120

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:32 AM »
I sure wish I had more time, but alas, I don't need anything else on my plate.  Besides, I have plenty of reverse birds to keep me happy!  And my wife would kill me...........
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 04:41:08 AM »
I'd do it if I only had a job.....

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 06:01:55 AM »
 Whats with the edges on the lower bought of the body? Sanded? Routed? Looks weird.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »
Whats with the edges on the lower bought of the body? Sanded? Routed? Looks weird.

Those look exactly the same as on my '64 and '65 (though it's been refinned and smoothed out).  Done either by a router or shaper and blended by hand.  Bicentennial bodies are very different including sharper top/side edges and the angled reveal on the through neck/wing join.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
What are SG/EB0s made of?
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.