Author Topic: What the world has been waiting for ...  (Read 3939 times)

n!k

• View Profile
Re: What the world has been waiting for ...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
What color is your current Q80? Just sell that one and have the much more interesting colored one in your collection!
Half-speed Hawkwind

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »
Black. Like most of them. But I don't know how to do that. Sell basses I mean. It's an alien concept to me.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
Oh just buy the flaming thing you know you want it.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »
Buy the pink one and donate blackie to a worthy cause. Do they have needy school music programs over there? Maybe there's a junior associate at your firm that needs a mentor. The Q80 could be a perfect way to begin. There are all sorts of possibilities!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
If you don't start buying for fins you'll have to stop buying cuz you have virtually every Gibson model & prototype ever made.
You'll forgive yourself as you're rippin' some leads with such great access to the upper frets!!!!!
It looks fleshy don't it? Makes it kinda sexy esp. with those Gibby pickups!!
You can goose people good with that pointy headstock tooo
I predict you'll get it, Uwe, & play the Pink Panther theme on it straightaway upon it's arrival.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:02:15 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »
or keep 'em both a standard color and a custom color.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 04:00:59 AM »
I got the answer... buy the pink one; once you've won her send me the black one which I agree to "lease/lend" and I'll agree not to customise her...

(hmm... hope he can't see my crossed fingers... maybe I could promise to return her in original condition, then I could plead poverty and he could sue me winning nothing but a £1.00 per month until paid off...)

You see, Uwe... that wouldn't even be selling one and you would be diverting me from this F*nd*r urge I have at the moment, a truly altruistic move...  ;D

Alternately, I'd be happy for you to annexe my shed and I'll stand guard...  ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:09:03 AM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 05:15:16 AM »
 My favorite line in the movie School of Rock..............."yes we could make a exception" I really don't understand your self imposed rule for not buying for finishes, your just torturing yourself. I find life is much easier if I just say yes. Try it you'll be amazed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:22:25 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 12:23:44 AM »
Just 2 days left, Herr Kollector!!

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 04:52:39 AM »
Uwe, if you're sure you're not gunna take a crack at it, and it stays below or around $300-$350 come snipe time, I might buckle and go for it.  But, that's a complete impulse buy, so if you want it for the Kollection, I'll keep my grubby fingers off the bid button.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »
For some strange reason my finger is twitching also  :-\ but I'll lay off if one of the forum is going for it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
Please do by all means! Nice or not, there is no even remotely sensible reason for me to have another Q-80 and I'd never give up my old one because that was among my first batch of Gibsons bought ever. It be great if Pinkie ended up in the forum. For those wanting to know how these things sound: The body makes for an audible maho content in sound, they are not as sharp and focussed as say a Victory. The Grabber pups enhance a warm blurriness too, but unlike on an Explorer which sounds a bit lame and non-assertive to my ears, the Q-80 has real authority.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 03:39:05 AM »
I only now noticed the serial number, it's from 1985 which makes it the earliest Q-80 I have ever heard of by a stretch, all others I know are from 1987. That might also explain the lack of a custom shop reference (all the 1987 Q-80 models have a custom shop decal) and the one-of-a-kind fin. This might actually have been one of the NAMM pieces (hence the - for Gibson - daring pink) Herr Charvel took out when he joined Gibson. He made a couple of models for that, one of them was my pointy SPCB (silly purple clown bass).

Good luck on whoever is bidding on it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:46:07 AM by uwe »

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 06:00:54 AM »
I'm waiting for an email back from the seller.  I want to make sure he'll ship to an unconfirmed address.  I'm still in Afghanistan, so I'd rather have it shipped to my office instead of sit on my porch until I con a friend or coworker into driving by.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
A pink bass on the way to Afghanistan? This board tells marvellous stories indeed. Operation Enduring Pink. ! - )