Author Topic: Interestiong (Epi) EB3 variant  (Read 4586 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Interestiong (Epi) EB3 variant
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »
I knew that the original Epi EB-3 reissue was long scale (I even played one once), but I wasn't aware that they had stuck the neck farther out to pull up the bridge . That must have killed any balance of the thing even though Epi EB-3 bodies are quite a bit heavier than anything Gibson ever offered.

I have erred. RearHead gearHed, I apologize, you must be huge!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 01:55:13 AM »
Strange: I reviewed the Höfner Verythin Longscale recently. The bare body is slighty different than the shortscale, but the necks are exactly the same length! You just can't reach less highter frets on the Long Scale  - and why should we. of course the short has more frets and the bridge is more positioned to the center of the body.

The short scale was first and that one has quite a long neck for a shorty. The Long Scale is more 'normal'.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 03:36:18 AM »
I read it three times. But still don't understand what you're saying Chris.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 03:43:56 AM »
That's just the way Dutch as a language is, Rob. It corrodes all logical thinking. A language of Barbarians for Barbarians!  :mrgreen:

Actually, the mellowness (to deutsche Ohren at least) of the Dutch tongue around the edges goes nicely with the music. This would sound a lot more abrasive and ragged in German.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:55:25 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 03:52:45 AM »
Haha, I know Dutch language sounds like a throat disease to most of you.
It has a lot of Germanisms in it by the way.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 03:58:46 AM »
It's a German dialect in origin (one which we gave up on, but you insisted to keep it!). Interestingly, I find Dutch easier to understand when reading it (because you pronounce things so differently from us), but from my Dutch clients I hear the opposite: They say understanding German orally comes easier to them than reading it - that is hard work for them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:11:59 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 04:26:42 AM »
Sometimes it can be quite difficult yes:

Wenn ist das nun Stück gitt und Schlottermeyer? - Ja: Bayer-Hund. Das, oder die Flipper-Wald Gespütt!

(Netflix has the entire Monty Python catalogue online since a few days. Been binge watching...)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
I understand exactly what Chris is saying.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
Your empathy is notorious!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 05:28:43 AM »
I understand exactly what Chris is saying.

Same! I think...

To take Chris' example further, those Fender Rascal basses measure out as being the same overall length, from headstock tip to strap button, as a P or J bass. A 34'' bass isn't always 4'' longer, in total, than a 30'' bass, because you can move the bridge inland on the body. This is why a Rascal may feel bigger than a Mustang, even though the scale length is the same. What you might sacrific along the way is upper fret access, but again this varies with design.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
Yup. IIIRC my Casady bass (34" scale) was the same overall length or a bit shorter than my Gretsch 5123 hollowbody (32").
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 06:43:53 PM »
Oh yeah. I currently have only 34" scale basses, but the LPB1 feels at least an inch longer than the others. The bridge is a bit far from the back of the body and the body is compact, so the neck sticks way out from where the body hangs. I think the reason it doesn't neck dive is because they compensated by making the body extra thick and heavy.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 06:59:26 PM »
Oh yeah. I currently have only 34" scale basses, but the LPB1 feels at least an inch longer than the others. The bridge is a bit far from the back of the body and the body is compact, so the neck sticks way out from where the body hangs. I think the reason it doesn't neck dive is because they compensated by making the body extra thick and heavy.

But with the LPB series, the neck isn't longer, it just sticks out longer. It's not likely to neck dive unless it's as light as an SG body.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
But with the LPB series, the neck isn't longer, it just sticks out longer.

That's what I was saying. It's the same scale as my other basses, but it doesn't feel like it.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »
For Rob:

Verythin (Long Scale) LS and (Short Scale) SC: neck sticks out of the body at the same lenght. So the basses are exactly the same length from strap lock at the back to the top of the  headstock. But with the SC the bridge is more positioned to the middle of the body, while it's more to the back at the LS. Because the space between the frets starts narrower at the top with the short scale the same neck/fretboard fits more frets than the long scale.