Author Topic: Jackson Kelly Bird first impressions  (Read 852 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Jackson Kelly Bird first impressions
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
It's here! Holy crap I can't believe how nice this bass is. Made in India, my first bass to have come from there. Excellent QC, very, very  well made, I don't think I am over the top in saying it's comparable to basses costing 3x as much. Way better than the Waterstone Mod bass or the V8 at half the price for the Mod and less than half for the V8, no comparison really. Compared to a Epi bolt on Thunderbird this is  head and shoulders above. I can't believe it cost only $299.00  :o   I just gave it a quick set up and plugged it in wow! Nice powerful pickups with a bit of grit to them. The fret work is excellent no fret sprout or sharp edges. The finish is even more beautiful than in the pictures.................. a very understated pointy bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson Kelly Bird first impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »
Calm down, dear boy; it's only a bass...  ;D

Talking pics... :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 02:03:56 PM »
Kenny I know my reaction may seem a bit over the top but it truly is a beautifully made bass at  I think a amazing price. I am fond of good, cheap (inexpensive) gear. I have thought for a long time country of origin does not necessarily mean quality or junk. After my Waterstone experience, the only comparison to that I can make is my late 60's MIJ Kingston Jazz bass wanna be. A bit harsh but in todays bass market it is the only comparison I can think of. I am delighted to be surprised by something. The Kellybird bass is truly well made, I'm a wood worker I know good work when I see it. I am still as excited about it today as the day it arrived. Is it a Thunderbird ? No. But in someways that's a good thing ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:17:20 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
Nah... not OTT, just telling it how it is, which is how it should be...  ;)

It's always nice to get surprises from unusual sources, and this certainly fits the bill...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...