Author Topic: G-3 Review  (Read 10797 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: G-3 Review
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »
Sorry to hear this, Dave. Best wishes to her and all your family.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
That is tough to hear. All the best wishes for you and yours.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »

Dave,

As always, great to see you, meet your son ( who BTW seems to be quite a Thunderbird fan too) and play your Grabber II which was very nice. Mr Lull just has a way with Gibsons, a proper set up and dressing of the fret ends really helps.
 Really glad to hear Maari is doing better, you're in my prayers.     
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 03:55:13 AM »
my prayers and good wishes are sent.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 05:11:32 AM »
Prayers from here...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
I don't know you, but those last lines just kicked me in the teeth. Having two small kids myself, i just can't imagine how you feel.
Best wishes from this side of the pond.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »
Thanks guys - I didn't mean to derail the thread.  *should know not to post after a strong shot of Don Julio!   :-[

She is doing well, we've been at a proton treatment center in California for  6 weeks, this is the final week so I'm anxious to get back to terra familiar.  My wife and I have rotated each week, and it has gone fairly quickly.   I saw Uwe's G3 on the way to pick up my wife from the airport a few (?) weeks ago. 

I would say as a "public service" announcement, that Proton Therapy is great.  It is used to treat specific regions for cancer that are potentially sensitive to radiation that spreads.  For example, my daughter's cancer was behind the eye and the proton beam gets that small specific region without harming the surrounding cells ala traditional radiation.  Traditional radiation would have hit the pituitary gland meaning hormones for life, and taken the vision from both eyes. The PSA is that I've discovered the number one proton customer BY FAR is the middle-aged male being treated for prostate cancer.  Its VERY effective for this cancer - I think most of these patients spend a couple of months at the proton center, can work via cyber commute or play golf as there are no side effects with proton.   There are 10 proton centers in the US, and we're at the oldest one - 30 plus years or so I believe at Loma Linda California.  So if any of you or someone you know is going to deal with prostate cancer, I highly recommend you consider proton therapy.

The good news for my daughter is that they've been aiming the beam away from the eye and focusing on the sinus/nasal cavity where the remainder of the tumor is.  We were expecting her to lose vision in that eye, as the tumor was wrapped around the optic nerve.  But due to the chemo and proton it appears that the vision loss risk is minimal right now and that tumor has shrank considerably  (aggressive cancers respond rapidly to aggressive treatment we're told).   Even though there are no side effects, that optic orbit is still sensitive.  So now we continue with chemo until March at which point we're hoping for cancer free!

I am curious on my Gibson question - does anyone else feel that Gibson may finally be listening to their customers with these new models?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
Around here if a thread doesn't get derailed it's dead.

It is a good thing that this therapy exists; I had not heard of it until now. Having gone through radiation therapy a few years ago I know what a hell that is and the collateral damage that can ensue. I have a paralyzed vocal cord which sucks as a musician, but I couldn't fathom the possibility of losing sight in even one eye. My thoughts are with her.

Certianly Gibson is listening to their customers. It'd been a while ago, but you could probably fingd a thread where godofthunder showed a Gibson rep his white NR bird and interst was expressed in producing a reproduction. However I don't think it would have happened without the NR Firebird guitars first.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
New one on me (by name here) - positive thoughts from over the Pond...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

Uwe ran down all the different model Gibson has done over the past couple years - quite a few.
It's pretty common to deride them for various reasons but they have put a lot of basses out there. I really wish I had a bit more money to spend - I' d love a black Les Paul Oversize and a G-3 like Uwe's, the QC on all the basses has been fine except for the fret ends on the G-3.

I'd ask this: Who else has done as much as Gibson for bass players over the past two years?  
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
I'd ask this: Who else has done as much as Gibson for bass players over the past two years? 

Fender?  ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »

Fender?  ;D

Well they dig around in their parts bins and cobb crap like that reversed Jaguar together - positively brilliant.    ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »
Dave, the illness of a child never derails anything here, it takes precedence over any bass subject imaginable. All the best for your little one. Keep us posted please if it's not too much on you. In any thread under any topic.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
Well said.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »

I have to say this bass is certainly very enjoyable to play, I'm getting in a bit of time playing along with one of my fave U.S. band The Smithereens.......... I've alway really liked these guys and Mike Mesaros playing especially on some of their ballads like "Blue Period", Too much Passion and "Lonely Place". Tune half a step down the G-3 is loads of fun played fingerstyle - Thanks Uwe!

Here's a bit of them live on Jay Leno.