Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Dead Hiwatt (edit - now live again - YIPPEE...!)

<< < (2/3) > >>

godofthunder:
Bummer Ken, Hope you get her up and running again !

Highlander:
What a bugger...!

Back up and running, and it was a "fluke fault" - I changed the fuses yesterday and she was still "no-go", but post strip-down today I did the usual checks and discovered that the "output" fuse was dead - an internal dry joint on a fuse...! admittedly, the fuses were surplus junk from my British Airways days, so all predate 1981...

Up and running...  8)

One caveat... whilst running at full volume and deliberately overdriving her there was a tiny waft of smoke from the smaller tag board you can see in the lowest pic - a close inspection showed a tiny amount of flux which had never been cleared off the turret... I hope...  :o

My wife and daughter being "helpful"...

Definitely had lost my sense of humour here...

Post "repairs" and much happier... "Hmm... not sure about that waft of smoke off the central tag-board - probably an old bit of flux getting a suprise...?

Billy... she's a DR103S (a-la-Dave-Gilmour type model) but not identified as such, being called a DR103 "SWITCH" - only one so called, according to Mark Huss, so potentially a "one-off" - an original 1970 Hiwatt made in Dave Reeve's (God rest him) garage in New Malden, which is about 4 miles from where I live... I'll try and lift the original posting (from the VA site) and put in this section...

Tony... I'd trawled Mark Huss's site, and some others, but there appears to be no direct drawing of mine - something I'll have to correct, sooner rather than later...  ;)

I have learnt a lesson here - I need to prioritise getting the Marshall up-and-running, and quick...

ps... the beard has had it's marching orders again...  :sad:

Dave W:
I'm not surprised it was a fuse after all.

Let's hope the excess flux caused that smoke. Better fix that Marshall...

Do you just shave off your beard and then refuse to shave again until you're ordered to?

Highlander:
Yep...  ;)

Technically speaking, I haven't shaved since the day before I got married in May '89, as I trim down to "designer stubble"...  ;D

The fuse just suprised me... not expected to have a "new" fuse faulty; so rare, imo... ???

clankenstein:
great news! much better that its a fuse because theres little possibility of component damage.most times when i have had an amp plain stop on me its been fuses or the screen resistors(marshalls are quite prone to this)strange to think that such inexpensive parts can cause such greif.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version