Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Traynor ?

<< < (2/4) > >>

SKATE RAT:
well,i've seen a few different "all tube" ones including the one above.

how do they sound? power? wattage? volume? why are they so cheap?

Basvarken:
Sorry I meant to answer in a reply. But I messed up your post by mistake  :o

how do they sound?
From what I've read they're supposed to be pretty good.
Old fashioned tube technology.
4 KT88 powertubes.

power? wattage?
200 watts of tube power. Not comparable to 200 watts transistor power.

volume?
Louder than you will need

why are they so cheap?
The question is, why are other full tube amps so expensive.
Relatively easy to build. Not sure if they're really built in Canada. Perhaps China? Dunno.

luve2fli:
I can pipe in here and offer some insight as I've been using Yorkville/Traynor gear on and off for years. Yorkville as a company has recently re-branded all their instrument amps and cabs with the Traynor name - why I'm not sure .... brand recognition perhaps? Right now, they've got a standard line-up of cabs including 2x10, 4x10, 1x12, 1x15, 8x8, 8x10 and a 1x15/2x10. Heads are available in a 400W hybrid, 800W hybrid (both with tube pre's) and the all-tube 200W already mentioned. Then there's the combos which range from 10W up to 400W with various speaker configurations. All cabs and combos are loaded with Eminence drivers.

From personal experience I'll say this: Yorkville/Traynor gear is built like a tank and they offer an unmatched warranty. In fact, the last I heard, they'll even go beyond their standard 2 year warranty to keep customers happy. As far as the tones ...... the cabs can't be beaten. I've played everything from SWR to Trace to Eden and I keep going back to Yorkville/Traynor. They bury ANYTHING at this price-point. I can't offer much on the heads as I haven't owned one in several years but I will say that the hybrids (in particular the 800W beast) are loaded with all the bells and whistles you'd see in a much more expensive amp and sound pretty damn good to me (when demo-ing them or hearing them onstage with other bands). When I demoed the 200W all-tube head, I was impressed but not blown-away. It's good but it ain't no SVT. All in all though, I think Yorkville/Traynor is one of the great undiscovered secrets in the bass world. If I wasn't so completely hooked on Ampeg heads, I'd probably have a Traynor to match my 1x15 and 1x12 Yorkies.

Anyway - good luck. Try them all but don't get too overly hooked on the 200W all-tube head. The 800W Dynabass smokes it in terms of power, features and overall tone ...... it's surprisingly "tuby".

the mojo hobo:
Traynor is still made in Canada. Their factory was featured on the "How it's made" TV show.

I had a YBA-200 for a while and was not impressed. It suffered from low volume, I took it to a local shop for warranty repair. They had it for months and tried to get me to pay $180 for the repair. Even after being rebuilt and re-tubed I could not get clean deep bass from it. I was looking for something easier to transport than my Sunn 300t. The Traynor is half the weight, but I'm still humping the Sunn to gigs.

However if you're looking for a gritty overdriven sound it might be just the trick.

Dave W:
Traynor does have an " International Series" made in China or somewhere else in the far east, but that series consists of their lower wattage solid state amps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version