Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Sunn Coliseum 300...

(1/4) > >>

Denis:
So I have a Sunn Coliseum 300 on the way. A friend suggested a 2x15 cabinet but I figured you guys would have some great suggestions. Since I seem to be well on the path to a Gibson/Epiphone sickness, what are your suggestions?

And exactly how strong is this Sunn?

Thanks!

rahock:
I've said it before and I'll say it again..........Never met a Sunn I didn't like   ;D.
They are pretty strong too. They use large watts ;). Not as large as Hiwatt watts and maybe not as large as Marshall watts, but larger than most others. In general, lot's of juice and lot's of great sound 8)
The Sunn 2 15" cabs are one of the better 2 15" cabs out there, but you could match that head up with a number of things and make it work :)
Nice score.
Rick

Denis:
Thanks, Rick! Are Sunn 2 15"s difficult to come by these days?

Pilgrim:
Congrats!  You are going to LIKE this amp!!

I have the complete owner's manual posted online:  
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j306/apowell1/Electric%20Basses/Amps-Speakers/Coliseum-300%20Manual/

One thing I learned is that each EQ knob has its own pre-amp.  You won't believe the difference in sound from tweaking each knob just a bit.  if you rack them all up just a bit, you push the amp harder and it gets louder - fast!

I have played mine through a single Peavey 15, through a G-K 4x10, and with both connected.  It ALL sounds good.  Note that it's rated 300W @ 2 ohms (one of the few that will go to 2 ohms), 240W @ 4 ohms, and 120W @ 8 ohms.  So if you're playing a venue of any size, you'll probably want to set up cabs for 4 ohms.  I guess if I were running a 2x15 with this, I'd choose speakers and wire it for 2 ohms just to be able to get the full output.

My counsel: whatever kind of speaker cabs you like, just use 'em.  They will sound good through this amp.

Denis:
Terrific, thanks! Sure looks like I'll need it with all those EQ controls. I appreciate the infor on the W vs ohms as well. Since you've run a single 15 and a 4x10, it begs the question I've been meaning to ask: What would a 4x10 give me compared to a 4x12 or a 2x15? Since the Sunn sounds like it can handle anything I'd ever throw at it, what do the different speaker sizes offer?
Thanks for humoring a relative newbie!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version