Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Bass amp help/question

(1/9) > >>

Denis:
So, yesterday afternoon I was practicing with the Dano (replacement neck installed) and the Fender Bassman Compact (solid state) and all was well. Put everything away and went to a cookout in the afternoon, where I saw Pamlicojack and talked basses for a while.

This afternoon I pulled them out again and absolutely no sound out of the amp at all. The on/off switch light's on, fuses good, compressor light flickering and dead silence. Took the speaker out and it's in perfect condition, including the wiring. Nothing is looks or broken, so I suspect something on the board is bad or the "transformer" for lack of a better word, has gone bad.

Ideas? Thanks!

Pilgrim:
Try a different cable connecting instrument to amp - they can break.  Also, double-check every switch and knob on the bass and the amp.

Assume NOTHING about any connection - often the problem is solved by pushing a cable all the way in, or by turning up an unnoticed gain control.

Denis:
Just tried a different cable with the Telecaster on the amp and still no dice. The Master dial is at 8 with all the others (volume, bass, middle, treble and compressor) between 4 and 8. No dice. Seriously, I changed NO settings between when I put it away last night and when I pulled it out this morning. This is perplexing...

Pilgrim:
Any engineer types know what kind of voltage he should see from tip to ring on a speaker cable with the other end of the cable plugged into the output of an amp?

rahock:
Like Pilgrim said, look hard at all connections. Also , when you look at those connections, check the color of the solder too. If you find one that is considerably darker in color than the others, it could be a solder joint gone  cold/bad.  Everything appears connected but the solder isn't doing it's job. Sometimes a visual check  can catch this .......sometimes not.
I had a problem a few years ago that I looked right at  a dozen times and still didn't see. It took a pro to point it out to me. Pissed me off too, the SOB spotted it in seconds. After he pointed it out to me , it was obvious  :P. Moral of the story......I didn't know what I was looking for until he showed me .
Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version