Author Topic: The Les Paul Twins  (Read 19849 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: The Les Paul Twins
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2018, 04:11:43 PM »
Oh, there is a carve job after all; still super thick bodies (me likey).  Not for weanies - if you're asking how much they weigh, they're too heavy for you.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Christine

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2018, 11:43:39 PM »
Oh, there is a carve job after all; still super thick bodies (me likey).  Not for weanies - if you're asking how much they weigh, they're too heavy for you.
Thank you for your positive input. Guess what, there'll be a neck on them too if you wait for it, they'll be even heavier then!

Christine

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »
Yesterday I just finished the shaping of the second body and called it a day, hardly worth an update.

Today I played around with the neck joint, I made a quick MDF jig to cut the tenon on the router table and screwed it to the top of the neck along the centreline where the truss rod will be set in next week. I roughed out the tenon on the bandsaw and routed the neck. They turned out just a tad tight so a couple of wipes with a file saw them a perfect fit. Then I semi scribed them into the body but left the tenons needing to move forward by about 1mm when the neck has had some shape cut into it so by scribing the neck join this will pull in nicely. I did the rough scribing with a dovetail saw and then pared off anything that looked to be sticking out. The tops of the necks are still about 3mm proud of the surface of the body, I'll sort that out next week after thinning just to make 100% sure everything stays straight and flat

So for now we have two massive blanks for the necks waiting to be thinned and the scarf joints cut for the angled headstock will probably do that on Sunday, I have other things to do until then unfortunately

And for those who have been wanting to see what I keep in my drawers

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
No hands on a bit of wood jokes please... (where's Sam the Eagle when you need him...)  :o

Some of those chisels a very vintage...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Christine

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »
No hands on a bit of wood jokes please... (where's Sam the Eagle when you need him...)  :o

Some of those chisels a very vintage...?
30 years ish, I bought them all together at a London woodworking show. Can you tell which are my favourites and which have never been used?

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2018, 10:51:03 PM »
Great tools. I saved everything I could frome my grandfathers workshop, some of the tools were from his father as well.
There is just something with old tools, I have some hammers with oak handle that must be a hundred years old. I feel that I can do anything with them, they are divine hammers indeed!

Christine

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »
Great tools. I saved everything I could frome my grandfathers workshop, some of the tools were from his father as well.
There is just something with old tools, I have some hammers with oak handle that must be a hundred years old. I feel that I can do anything with them, they are divine hammers indeed!
There's a lot to be said for old tools, I don't understand the science but the quality of the steel was better pre WW2 especially for cutting tools. I come across old plane irons sometimes and take a punt, once sorted out they really do hold a good edge that you just can't get with the modern day equivelent

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
... Can you tell which are my favourites and which have never been used?

Duh... :mrgreen:
I have several similar ones that belonged to my maternal grandfather... similar work to you... ended his working days as a ship's carpenter at Brown's in Glasgow...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Christine

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »
I had a bit of spare time this morning so I pressed on. Ripped the neck blank down to slightly oversize and marked out the position of the scarf joint which worked out at 14 degrees with a 10mm (+ veneer 3mm later) at nut length minus 40mm. I made a jig for the table saw to cut the scarf but in hindsight I should have just bandsawn it and planed square and flat, not a jig I'll be keeping! Once planed I glued them together and now they can sit until Sunday when I'll get back to the workshop :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
Wimminfolk working wood wonderously?

Je suis impressed. Très impressed, Christine.

And you're really not ... 16 ...?

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Christine

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
Wimminfolk working wood wonderously?

Je suis impressed. Très impressed, Christine.

And you're really not ... 16 ...?

Closer to 21  :)

Actually if you rearrange the numbers in sixteen you'll find my year of birth  :sad:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 04:17:26 AM »
Very nice Christine.
That headstock looks very thin. Are you going to glue a veneer on top of that?

Christine

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 09:49:03 PM »
Very nice Christine.
That headstock looks very thin. Are you going to glue a veneer on top of that?

Yes, there's a 3mm Rocklite Ebano veneer to go on top of that, it's exactly 10mm now so 13mm overall

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2018, 03:25:24 AM »
Ah okay. Perfect. Looking forward to the rest of the build process.
A few years ago I built a Les Paul Bass too. But my skills and tools are not nearly as professional as yours... :o
http://www.enkoo.nl/lespaulbass2015.html

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
Very cool Rob.did the decade control do much on the bass?
Hi Christine,i'm loving the work you are doing there.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:08:17 PM by clankenstein »
Louder bass!.