Author Topic: More on the Gibson raid  (Read 23431 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: More on the Gibson raid
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
Deterrence that is called. Now that I certainly believe to have played a role.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
As the Chinese say, "Kill the Chicken to scare the Monkey".

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2011, 07:01:02 AM »
That video is from late August.

Henry was supposed to meet with federal officials yesterday. Wonder when we'll hear more about that?

Meanwhile he's openly threatening to send jobs overseas. So predictable that you have to wonder whether he's using the raid as a pretext. All over Indian rosewood and ebony?  ???

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
Meanwhile he's openly threatening to send jobs overseas. So predictable that you have to wonder whether he's using the raid as a pretext. All over Indian rosewood and ebony?  ???

Why not blame Obama for the Firebird X while he's at it? Its sales would increase tenfold just from the dittoheads who would buy one just to burn it in defiance/effigy (and it would probably sound better afterward too- the Jimi Hendrix mod).

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
Geez, this all makes my head spin.  Why are American law enforcement people trying to enforce the manufacturing/exporting laws of a foreign country?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
Geez, this all makes my head spin.  Why are American law enforcement people trying to enforce the manufacturing/exporting laws of a foreign country?

http://www.ypte.org.uk/environmental/trade-in-endangered-species/25

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2011, 01:41:22 PM »
I'm not sure why conservatives keep being dragged into this but according to everything I've read, people who lean more toward Ted Nugent than Jerry Garcia have been intentionally used as props in this one. If Henry or his people actually broke laws (lame or otherwise) then this conservative isn't too bothered that he's in legal trouble now. Using this as a political football from either direction makes light of the actual case. Gibson either broke laws or they didn't. The next question I'd ask is if they did break the law, did they do so intentionally?  Not that ignorance of the law is an excuse, but my own sympathies might be more inclined toward Gibson if this were a bureaucratic mess, rather than intentional skirting of federal regulations. How any of us choose to vote has nothing to do with this.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »

They're not. What they're trying to enforce is a US law, the 2008 expansion of the Lacey Act, which makes it illegal to import a product if another country has banned its export.

The 2008 expansion had broad bipartisan support. The Senate co-sponsor was Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), whose reelection campaign Henry contributed to.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »
Meanwhile he's openly threatening to send jobs overseas.

At least that will improve quality and reduce prices.  It would actually be a smart move for Gibson, and would enable them to sell more instruments.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2011, 04:00:31 PM »
They're not. What they're trying to enforce is a US law, the 2008 expansion of the Lacey Act, which makes it illegal to import a product if another country has banned its export.

The 2008 expansion had broad bipartisan support. The Senate co-sponsor was Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), whose reelection campaign Henry contributed to.

India has banned export of rosewood?  Geez, how will they survive?  You can't live forever on customer service bull pens.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »

...who was an abyssmal governor in the 80's, and even among conservatives in Tennessee, a political pariah of epic proportion until Don Sundquist lowered the bar even further to the point that Phil Bredesen was elected by a landslide that included a large number of hard core Republicans. Lamar has been a surprisingly good Senator, championing of all things, the environment, strangely similar to a Democrat who once was also a Senator from Tennessee and later Vice President and President-elect. Alexander toes the party line on most issues considered cruical to the GOP, but he has wrankled it on a few others, just like his former co-Senator, Fred Thompson. Now that I think about it, Tennessee has produced quite a few extremely powerful figures in Washington, and mark my words, you WILL hear the name Bill Haslam, our current governor, in future presidential races.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
You can't live forever on customer service bull pens.

...as evidenced by the USA. Up until the late 1990's, that was the plan here.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
...as evidenced by the USA. Up until the late 1990's, that was the plan here.

Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' factories!