Author Topic: Say whaaa? (amp repair tutorial)  (Read 4576 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Say whaaa? (amp repair tutorial)
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
This was fun, sad, enlightening, and a bit scary:

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Say whaaa? (amp repair tutorial)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
they are near me.  i should check them out.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Just don't leave any of your amps with him!  ;D  :o

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
why not?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
I halfway hope some idiot tries to do the BS shown in this video and sues the crap outta them when they get bit. That video is BEYOND irresponsible without even starting to address the technical innaccuracies.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »
Yikes! I know very little about amp servicing and I know better than this guy.

I'd say more, but I gotta go check my capacitors for ohms.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
how has he still got 10 whole fingers?
Louder bass!.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
Seems like a nice enough guy and all, and I sincerely hope he doesn't hurt himself doing this - but yeah, he definitely presents himself as an expert in his delivery and better than average video production..  Just reaffirms the need to get references before leaving your baby with the local music store tech.

I was secretly waiting for him to recommend prepping the fetzer valve with 3-in-1 oil and gauze pads...   :)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:50:16 AM by chromium »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »

I was secretly waiting for him to recommend prepping the fetzer valve with 3-in-1 oil and gauze pads...   :)

I go with nothing but full synthetic freezer bearing oil on my fetzer valves and I swear to you, I have never had one go bad.
Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Seems like a nice enough guy and all, and I sincerely hope he doesn't hurt himself doing this - but yeah, he definitely presents himself as an expert in his delivery and better than average video production..  Just reaffirms the need to get references before leaving your baby with the local music store tech.

All I can say is I hope whomever put that up doesn't get somebody else killed, which is a distinct possibility. THAT jackass deserves anything he gets. There are several basic safety precautions for ANY kind of electronics work that were ignored completely: chassis grounding, cap draining...etc. I won't even get into how much what little "technical info" he did give was wrong.

That's why it's also important to check out everything you read online as much as possible about technical matters. That guy can register in any forum, identify himself as a "service tech" and start handing out all kinds of info. If he did that on Talkbass and someone confronted his ignorance, they would be banned and he would find an entire array of syncophants rising to his defense because his employer presents a potential advertiser. In the meantime, who knows what kind of damage to persons and property his advice could cause? Even if eventually discredited, all it takes is one person to not see how unqualified the advisor is, take his advice, and potentially die.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
James Gandolfini is fixing amps now? Who knew?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
I just read the comments. The video's from last fall, almost all the comments are from the past week. Nicest one: "Well, he correctly identified it as a guitar amp... From there, things go downhill fast.?"

None of this shop's other videos are about amps. They may know what to look for when renting a flute or clarinet, but I wouldn't let an amp anywhere near them.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »
I just read the comments. The video's from last fall, almost all the comments are from the past week. Nicest one: "Well, he correctly identified it as a guitar amp... From there, things go downhill fast.?"

My favorite is, "For once, the comments section has more useful info than the video."

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
I like the part how over-driving melts the caps. Second best is how he just puts the meter leads on either side of a component and mis-leads the viewer into thinking he's able to get a meaningful reading. What a maroon...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
I kept waiting for him to check shocked and sent flying on his arrogant ass
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM